Discuss Old TN-S supply too cautions?? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello guys

Turned up to a job today and carried out the usual checks on the earthing system before i began work and found the supply authorities earthing conductor had been a piece of 1.5mm bare cable wrapped around the outside of the SWA, it looked like a real bodge job.

I said to the client UK Power networks will need to confirm if this is safe and it may need to be upgraded to a PME system.

UK Power networks are due to visit as i said i dont want to make alterations or additions to an existing installation which looks inadequate, whilst a healthy Ze had been achieved 0.30 but the earthing system did not look up to scratch.

Question is am i being too cautious in my younger years?, i did not take any money from the client just advised what to do next and will consult them on UP power networks observations?

AAF.jpg

Had a similar issue last week, about 3 strands of wire wrapped around lead sheath, not even sweated on, although it was providing a low Ze. CalledUKPN emergency number, told them it looked way to ropey, they came round next morning and put a new clamp round the sheathing.

The picture is unfortunately out of focus but it does look as if there is some sort of bond between the outer conductor of the cable and the earth wire so it may have been sealed to the cable and probably ought to have a sheath over it. If this is the case then it should be OK.
However if you are unsure then it is better to ask the DNO and check than to assume all is well.

Reply to Old TN-S supply too cautions?? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net