Discuss Omission Of Tests On Inaccessible Kitchen Appliances in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

JK-Electrical

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Other than the testing of the usual kitchen appliances that landlords supply as part of the tenancy agreement, I very rarely do any other PA testing. I will be carrying-out an EICR later this week on a property that will soon be made available to let. All appliances bar one are enclosed within fitted cupboards. With the sole exception of the oven, no isolating switches or FCUs have been installed for any of the appliances and they are all fed via sockets that are located at the back of each appliance. Short of physically removing the fridge, freezer, washing machine and dishwasher from their cabinets, I cannot otherwise gain access to the plugs for any of these appliances. So unless the letting agent or the property owner arranges for a kitchen fitter or joiner to remove each individual appliance, the appliances will not be tested. I will, of course, make a note of this on the test certificate, clearly stating my reasons for omitting the tests.

I'm sure I'm not the only tester who has encountered the problem of not being able to test kitchen appliances because of their inaccessibility. I'm curious as to whether or not the letting agent or property owner have any legal requirement to ensure that appliances supplied as part of a tenancy agreement are tested even if it means facilitating access to inaccessible appliances at their own expense, or whether the omission of the tests under the circumstances is permissible. I'm based in Scotland, and up here portable appliance testing is mandatory for private lettings as is an EICR. Any suggestions or advice anyone?

Last edited:
Not appliance testing related, but I always note as a limitation on EICRs that the circuit serving an electric hob and/oven is only tested to the main switch (i.e not to the outlet) where appliances would have to be removed to provide access.
You don’t often come across pull out electric cookers anymore!

I have encountered this problem many times. There are two issues as I see it:
1. I don't like hauling out heavy appliances! Plus, you have to be careful not to do any damage.
2. If you can't access the plug then of course proper testing is impossible (in a PA sense) because you can't complete the FVI, check the fuse etc nor, in most cases can you inspect the full length of the flex/cable.

Many built-in appliances are quite easy to access, such as microwave ovens and ordinary ovens, and often they can be slid out after undoing a couple of screws, however other than that, the FVI is compromised. Even if, say, the hob is merely plugged into a socket or extension lead behind the plinth (thanks Kevin, much appreciated!) the full length of the flex can't be checked. I test what I can, and annotate the report appropriately.
These massive fridge-freezers are a nightmare...but to be fair, they don't need an annual check unless the circumstances suggest this is imperative...they are virtually "fixed". I try to persude landlords to plug them into a new extension lead, looped up to the top of the units, so you can easily access the appliance plug for testing. The FVI of the supply cable isn't possible, but unless there is evidence of rodents, it is extremely unlikely that the supply cord will have been damaged between one inspection and the next, as it will not have moved or been subject to abrasion etc.
If I simply cannot get at the back of a washine machine, but it is plugged into a socket at the back and is thereafter fed via a FCU I isolate it and disconnect it there and test as if it were plugged in, using a safe connection block.
Whatever, if it can't be moved, it's probably less likely to be defective...but I report accordingly, wherever I can't complete the job fully.
I could, of course, just sticker everything! (Joke!)...there are plenty who do, but there are such cowboys everywhere and probably that's why I don't get as much work...they are much cheaper...

Thanks for the feedback guys.

For the same reasons that Pirate has cited, removing the fitted appliances myself isn't an option. If the letting agent or property owner doesn't arrange for the appliances to be made accessible for testing, then the tests won't be done. As the appliances are connected direct to sockets located at the rear, I can't inspect the flex, plug and fuse. While I could check the earth continuity via a wander lead connected to the MET, I won't be able to test the insulation.

I think it was a bit short-sighted to not install FCUs or grid switches above the worktops to provide local isolation for these appliances.

I am re-thinking this, following JK's point...instead of trying to work round it, make the Landlord responsible for putting the appliance in a condition/location which allows full inspection. My view has been to do what I can with what's available, test and report appropriately, but maybe I should take the view that if I can't gain full access to an appliance, report it as such, and move on.
Kinda torn between doing the best job I can, and not doing the job cos of inaccessibility.
Tending towards the "do what you can" version, but JK's view is certainly simpler and more efficient. Maybe depends on the Landlord's attitude? On balance, I am still in favour of doing a "half-job" and reporting accordingly...but in defence of that, I don't have to make a living out of it, so the time involved is of less importance to me.
I guess that testing at the FCU at least shows that at the time of the test all seemed ok? (minus the FVI). Like the MOT, it's a snapshot in time...
but then, any PAT result is just that.
Oh well...next job, I'll decide! I'd just rather do something than nothing, as that "something" might just reveal a problem.
In passing, as a relatively new member here, I am extremely grateful for all the solid advice from all the experienced people on this forum. Yes, there are some brilliant jokes and comic lines, which I really enjoy...but I have learned so much, so thank you all for your contributions!

This is PRECISELY why sockets for fixed appliances should ALWAYS be accessible without having to remove the appliance.

Another obvious failing of BS7671

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but isn't a portable appliance only really a portable appliance if you can easily move it? I vaguely remember something about if the appliance is over a certain weight or permanently fixed into place with nails screws or the like then it is no longer portable and can be classed as fixed, no PA Testing to be done on it as it is included in the EICR?

I have some sympathy for that view. But a fixed appliance may appear "fixed" due simply to its "degree of annexation" to the supply. So, as previously mentioned, if you have, say, a heater which is hung on the wall and plugged in to a socket in one room, you might test that...but if in the next room an identical heater is wired into a FCU, should we ignore it?
I guess it's the difference between PAT and ISITEE...
Big heavy appliances, like washing machines and fridge/freezers?
Oh well, maybe it's a question of degree...and also of setting a realistic testing schedule...
I don't know.
I encourage my landlord clients to be very particular about what appliances they leave in the premises. Frankly, heavy use items like toasters and kettles are vulnerable, so leave them out. A cooker hood is often plugged in, but hardly portable, yet it is subject to a damp atmosphere and could be a risky item.
Frankly, it is up to the landlord to select the items and agree a testing schedule, but few will want more than the absolute minimum.

Last edited:
Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but isn't a portable appliance only really a portable appliance if you can easily move it? I vaguely remember something about if the appliance is over a certain weight or permanently fixed into place with nails screws or the like then it is no longer portable and can be classed as fixed, no PA Testing to be done on it as it is included in the EICR?

Best to read the current edition of the code of practice.

As I say vaguely as I’m sure the guy who took the course said something about it PAT is not something I do I think the last time I done it was about 3 years ago...
In that case you shouldn't be doing it until you become competent, qualifications are not an issue Competency is the main thing.

Reply to Omission Of Tests On Inaccessible Kitchen Appliances in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock