Discuss On site guide, to buy or not to buy in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

diyterry

Trying to make sense of a confusing world
Is it worth me buying a copy of the on site guide and will I understand it?

Murdoch

Regular EF Member
You will need the appropriate big book to make sense of it ....

Baddegg

Still simmering Ken, not boiled yet buddy x
Electrician's Arms
Is it worth me buying a copy of the on site guide and will I understand it?
You’re looking at the best part of £100 for both books terry,are you going to use them that much?
Ps. Don’t buy the yellow ones

spinlondon

Forum Mentor
I have 2 OSGs, 16th and the red 17th.
The first I purchased, the second was given to me.
Both copies contain errors, they are only really useful for support spacing for containment, cable volumes in containment and a few other charts such as resistance per meter of conductors.

buzzlightyear

please let me back in to the prison cell.
Electrician's Arms
I thought I might gain a better understanding of domestic wiring
have you thought out reading about tesla. before you start reading the
wiring regs .you need to go an a course how to apply it .
and I will give you a great under standing about it .its like reading the about the cosmos .:) and I'm still trying to get my head around it;)

OP
diyterry

diyterry

have you thought out reading about tesla. before you start reading the
wiring regs .you need to go an a course how to apply it .
and I will give you a great under standing about it .its like reading the about the cosmos .:) and I'm still trying to get my head around it;)
Learned about Tesla and ac current when I was doing my apprenticeship, great man. I must admit I have trouble getting to grips with the cosmos especially before breakfast.☺

Pete999

Forum Mentor
Learned about Tesla and ac current when I was doing my apprenticeship, great man. I must admit I have trouble getting to grips with the cosmos especially before breakfast.☺
What were you Apprenticed as? only your profile lists no qualifications, so one must assume you ain't an Electrician. Although it's wrong to assume anything on this Forum.

Last edited:
OP
diyterry

diyterry

What were you Apprenticed as? only your profile lists no qualifications, so one must assume you ain't an Electrician. Although it's wrong to assume anything on this Forum.
Promise not to laugh, I was apprenticed as a bookbinder.

Pete999

Forum Mentor
What were you Apprenticed as? only your profile lists no qualifications, so one can assume you ain't an Electrician.
Promise not to laugh, I was apprenticed as a bookbinder.
Not at all Terry, I was nigh on raped by a gang of Female bookbinders, when I was a Lad, rough lot they were as well,they worked in a book binders in Bath, no names no pack drill the firm is long gone now

OP
diyterry

diyterry

What were you Apprenticed as? only your profile lists no qualifications, so one can assume you ain't an Electrician.

Not at all Terry, I was nigh on raped by a gang of Female bookbinders, when I was a Lad, rough lot they were as well,they worked in a book binders in Bath, no names no pack drill the firm is long gone now
When we finished our apprenticeship we had to run the gauntlet of the 'girls' on the sewing machines.

sparksfly

Regular EF Member
As Spinlondon said just be careful of errors , the OSG is just a guide but can be helpful sometimes.

Pete999

Forum Mentor
that's where i'm heading tonite, only 14 more pints to go.
I'm already there mate, after a trip to the Garden Center with Her in doors 19 quid for 2 coffees and 2 bacon and brie Panties, bacon and cheese toasties to us more down to earth folk, and all the other carp She wanted, blame myself really.

oracle

Electrician's Arms
Don't think reading Cosmo's is a good idea to get your "head" around. Go out and meet some girls

Spoon

Forum Mentor
Don't think reading Cosmo's is a good idea to get your "head" around. Go out and meet some girls
You could do both, then you could go into great detail about Uranus while chatting up girls...

TJ Anderson

Forum Mentor
Terry, I must say that comes across as rather strange. If you did an Electrical apprenticeship I would find it pretty hard to believe that you were not aware of the contents of the OSG's.

Edit ...sorry just read your were an apprentice book binder. They probably have a different on site guide lol. One with loose pages perhaps that you bind yourself??

Last edited:

oracle

Electrician's Arms
In the possessive?
The "greengrocers' apostrophe".
May I recommend a good read, "Eats shoots & leaves" by Lynne Truss?
To understand the use of the apostrophe you need to know the difference between "Knowing your **** and knowing you're **** "

OP
diyterry

diyterry

Terry, I must say that comes across as rather strange. If you did an Electrical apprenticeship I would find it pretty hard to believe that you were not aware of the contents of the OSG's.

Edit ...sorry just read your were an apprentice book binder. They probably have a different on site guide lol. One with loose pages perhaps that you bind yourself??
When I done my apprenticeship you had to virtually right your own osg, tradesmen weren't very keen to share their knowledge.

OP
diyterry

diyterry

When I done my apprenticeship you had to virtually write your own osg, tradesmen weren't very keen to share their knowledge.

Electrician Talk