Discuss One Way Lighting Circuit in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

shouldn't change cable size unless goihg through a fuse/mcb ...unless the original CPD is rated small enough

one way switching; from the source(mcb/fuse) to a switch through the sw to the light .neutral taken direct to the light .

17th edit is line not live

just thought i'd join in:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Cheers and Hi Wayne :)

Can someone explain to me then, why the N becomes Live in one way then, when converted to 2 way. There is effectively 3 Live wires???

Hi Bane - After reading this thread - is this an obscure wind-up? Are we really discussing how one-way and two-way switches work?

Doesn't everyone know the IEE change the name of the 'Live' every 5 years to keep everyone on their toes? As we move from Phase to Line I understand that for the next version of Regs we will be calling it "Le Bang" apparently part of European Harmonisation.

OK Bane, maybe you are a student, but I thought wiring lighting circuits was covered in week 1 of your apprenticeship? Meanwhile the other guys have given you the answer so I guess I shouldn't take the mickey any further.....

lol!

The black cable that is going to the switch is not a neutral its the switch wire or one of the strappers. By the way a neutral is always considered a live cable thats why we use terms like 'phase' conductor, remember that for college

Andy8758? Yes, the moon really is made from cheese.

GAZHUDD. Cheers for that :)

Is the Neutral always the return path then?

Last edited by a moderator:
Got it.

Power comes down the Phase.
I press the switch.
Power returns via the N (hence the sleeving) and powers the lamp.

Phew! Now, let someone tell me that's wrong :(

You only need to switch the line/phase wire, so you use the neutral wire as a return path from the switch to the lamp.

Thats not a neutral wire then, Bane try to forget what colours the wires to the switch are. At the moment we would use a twin brown or single brown at light switches.

MY BRAIN IS MELTING!!!!

Only joking. Got that.

Cheers guys for all your help. Much appreciated.

Will let you all know how I get on tomorrow.

Off to watch C4 now!

Night guys, thanks again.

Got it.

I press the switch.

Hi Bane
THats wrong ,think of the nuetral being on one side of the resistance ,in this case a lamp ,and the lives or line whatever on the other,the switch has a live and switched live ,known as a switchwire ,
so neuitral to light ,live to switch ,live return from switch all wired in 1mm or 1.5
hope this helps

hi bane, dont worry about not understanding 1 way lighting circuits i was the same when i was an apprentice, then one day it clicked and i thought what a thick bugger i must off been, never mind 30 odd years on i can now do 2 way and intermediate circuits,(how clever am i ?), no sarcy comments from anyone thanks, regards dave

Got it.

I press the switch.

your on the right track here , but forget about black being N , its live , ...

lighting may take time but it will all click into place eventually

yeah i striggled with it at first just on a simple one way lighting circuit, i just couldnt get it in me head! then as beens said you wake up one morning and it all becomes clear, then you gotta get your head round 2 ways and intermediates!

to be honest as some of you lot know i sometimes come across like i know bugger all, and i still cant get me head round using singles and twins for 2 way lighting (only cos i choose not to wire that way tho!!)

Hello everyone,

Well, first and foremost, a BIG THANK YOU to EVERYONE who posted advice, diagrams and explanations for little ol me.

However!

We didn't even get them checked out today! Ar*ewipe tutor neglected to give us timetable which would have consequently shown that today we actually had First Aid all morning and no workshop :(

Not a happy mouse!

So...We'll no doubt be covering 'one way' next week so, again, will keep you all posted on that one and in the meantime I'll be badgering my poor old mentor as from tomorrow about what he knows!

Thanks again guys.

Hello everyone,

Well, first and foremost, a BIG THANK YOU to EVERYONE who posted advice, diagrams and explanations for little ol me.

However!

We didn't even get them checked out today! Ar*ewipe tutor neglected to give us timetable which would have consequently shown that today we actually had First Aid all morning and no workshop :(

Not a happy mouse!

So...We'll no doubt be covering 'one way' next week so, again, will keep you all posted on that one and in the meantime I'll be badgering my poor old mentor as from tomorrow about what he knows!

Thanks again guys.

BANE!!! You're a STUDENT???? Come back when you are qualified to call me "stupid man".:rolleyes:

Cheers.lol

Reply to One Way Lighting Circuit in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock