Discuss Opinion on current fusebox in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Chris1895

DIY
Reaction score
Hi,

Moved into a property of late that has the following fuse box. Got advice telling me that it's safe, but doesn't meet current regulations, as well as that it could go in the next year, or last another 15.

Want to get opinions on next steps. Ideally, I'd like to replace it with a consumer unit, but conscious that might be tricky. Any views on differing options would be much appreciated. House is ex-local ~1960s.

Attachments

• 4D565320-DD89-40E3-BE55-DCEF562AEF28.jpeg
    253.1 KB · Views: 89
  • 4371BE88-FD4B-441D-839B-99364F00FD00.jpeg
    346.2 KB · Views: 85
  • E84C614A-794C-4B11-BCF3-11540717162D.jpeg
    346.1 KB · Views: 83
  • 96460997-62EF-4552-A1BD-478AE3AF8EC0.jpeg
    414.7 KB · Views: 89
Doesn't look overly safe to me looks like you can put your hand into it. The wiring looks predominantly original and looks like PBJ (PolyButyle Jute), I would suggest that is beyond its reasonable service life.

Looks like the property is wired in metal trunking.
this trunking is providing the earth (cpc) to the accessories at the end of the circuits.

it may well be advised to change the cables at the same time, due to there age.
not a bad idea but you need to find an electrician who has done similar properties to a high standard.

do not go for the cheapest quote, ask neighbors who have similar properties if they can recommend a good electrician, hopefully you will find one who will show you a rewire of their house done by said electrician.

experiance is the key to doing a house like yours, if it’s their first go, there will be mistakes, disruptive redecorating and a poor looking finished job.

Looks like the property is wired in metal trunking.
this trunking is providing the earth (cpc) to the accessories at the end of the circuits.

it may well be advised to change the cables at the same time, due to there age.
not a bad idea but you need to find an electrician who has done similar properties to a high standard.

do not go for the cheapest quote, ask neighbors who have similar properties if they can recommend a good electrician, hopefully you will find one who will show you a rewire of their house done by said electrician.

experiance is the key to doing a house like yours, if it’s their first go, there will be mistakes, disruptive redecorating and a poor looking finished job.
Based on the property, would you recommend trunking over chasing?

Based on the property, would you recommend trunking over chasing?
It looks to be cables run in conduit, so much easier to replace as you just pull new cables in using the old ones to drag them through. A lot less mess and disturbance than chased in.

@Strima is correct,
I had a bit of a brain fart moment, I thought conduit but typed trunking.

I wasn't paying close enough attention I've just seen the Cabling and it's likely you could be needing a rewire as it is probably past its serviceable life

not just the age/condition of the cables. probably not be anywhere near the number of sockets you need, and never in the right place/s. back then was maybe a socket or 2 in living room/s, 1 single socket per bedroom, bit of luck might be 2/3 in the kitchen. then there's the option of smart control, TV points, data points, etc. best done as a complete job in 1 hit.

I am surprised that it was not rewired by the council before they were sold off, we done loads in the 80's. IMO that installation is older than 60's with all that VIR. Possible though

I think most of us have pulled new cabling through existing conduits providing they are not blocked but as @telectrix says reusing the existing points may prove to be inadequate for modern needs.
With a complete conduit system the whole point is to make rewiring possible that is the concept. I fully agree with the modern needs etc, however Id take the like for like approach on such a job like this or pass it bye.

With a complete conduit system the whole point is to make rewiring possible that is the concept. I fully agree with the modern needs etc, however Id take the like for like approach on such a job like this or pass it bye.
ya big girlie. get stuck in with the wall chaser. ?

In my honest opinion looking at the pictures the property is 90% VIR / Rubber without RCD protection and the MCB’s are beyond their serviceable life. This installation needs rewiring urgently to avoid serious fire and or electric shock.

Reply to Opinion on current fusebox in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net