Discuss Opinion on current fusebox in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Chasing may not be an option if the structure is all concrete. You would need somone to really have a physical look at it. I think you summed it up quite well in your opening post as to the longevity expectations. It really all depends on whether you are living in it or intend to rent it. If the latter a rewire is almost inevitable. I imagine that the cables at the lights and sockets may be pretty frazzled, but then sometimes they are not. The conduit may be good and maybe rusted away at certain points. It may necessitate surface wiring all round in some cases if it is all concrete walls/ceilings. What kind of structure is the property i.e. bricks or????

In my honest opinion looking at the pictures the property is 90% VIR / Rubber without RCD protection and the MCB’s are beyond their serviceable life. This installation needs rewiring urgently to avoid serious fire and or electric shock.
While I agree it is probably beyond its serviceable life, in conduit I would say the risk of fire/shock is quite low.

However, any external sockets that don't have RDC protection are a very real shock danger!

Old Skeleton board with 3871 plug in's...
I'm surprised no-ones bothered to ask if there's any crossbonding in the property....but just jumped straight into the "no RCD" thing instead...

I'm not saying it shouldn't be replaced....but no-ones even bothered to ask if any of those mcb's are meeting times etc...

Old Skeleton board with 3871 plug in's...
I'm surprised no-ones bothered to ask if there's any crossbonding in the property....but just jumped straight into the "no RCD" thing instead...

I'm not saying it shouldn't be replaced....but no-ones even bothered to ask if any of those mcb's are meeting times etc...
As a DIYer, the OP may well not be able to tell us if disconnection times are met, or if supplementary bonding is in place, whereas we can see from the photos that there is no RCD.

RCD protection would remove the need for supplementary bonding, and (assuming all other things being satisfactory) would assure disconnection times were met. Plus would provide additional protection, which current regs require for at least some, if not all, of the circuits of the installation

This all depends on current funds available, if they are low then first of all I would get a RCD Retro fitted into that enclosure at least, this can easily be done. This would ensure disconnection times could be met, I would also get a trustworthy Electrician to remove some of the accessories to confirm the condition of the cables, yes (PBJ, Butyl, Rubber) is old wiring - however this does not necessarily mean its degraded and poses and immediate risk.I would also get them to check bonding. Long Term - I would assess what you need as extra sockets & lighting points (This decision will determine your end costs) - If its not too different from what you have now then i would have that done in conduit as it is now, & all the existing wiring replaced. If your needs are radically different to what sockets & lighting point are already there, then a full rewire in sheathing would be the answer.

Changing the CU to one with rcd is not advisable with wiring that old.
There may be faults, borrowed neutrals etc that won’t cause a visible problem until rcds are introduced.
Testing has to be done beforehand.

If it can all be done together, then that is preferable.

There may be faults, borrowed neutrals etc that won’t cause a visible problem until rcds are introduced.

Yep, just moving them cables could make the insulation crumble to dust.

Thanks all. Some great advice. I'm leaning towards getting it all done in one hit. Chasing would be the preferred option, but as some have mentioned, the walls might dictate the feasibility of that.

I suppose it might depend on the area, but wasn’t poured concrete walls more in the 70’s 80’s?

Style of house may also determine construction methods. Ie, semi detached vs high rise flats

Hit a wall with a big hammer and see what moves.

No RCD protection essentially means if you for example stuck a fork in a socket, instead of getting belted you simply die.

Upgrade it to a new RCBO set up, you won't have to touch it again in your life time.

Time to get the insulation tester out to check for low values of IR and shared neutrals then eh...?

So very different opinions - someone said I drop the ceiling 1.5cm via plaster and run the cables through there?? Another person said to create 2 different circuits, pushing the cables through and re-wire that way, with the kitchen being on it's own circuit.

As an FYI walls are rock solid, so not sure chasing will be possible without some serious leg work.

Reply to Opinion on current fusebox in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net