Discuss opinions sought on the TIS MFT PRO in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Steve, but you promoted the CEM meter as the best in the market too when launched and there are still many people out there who have paid good money and are struggling with them, if they are so bad you should have recalled and refunded every one bought.

I can only comment on past experience with HT Italia working with a wide range of their products over a 40 year period, I am semi retired now so am not as on the ball as I used to be but I have seen your tester at a show and looked at it online and while it may or may not be OK for industrial applications it is way over complicated for domestic electricians with functions that they do not require.

What are you expecting a domestic electrician to do with the harmonics function?

I still can't see how volt drop can be accurately measured without inputting the cable type and knowing the length of cable in the circuit. If you know this it is a simple calculation anyway there is no need for it to be measured.

Every other Test Equipment company promote there products and say there the best why have Megger Launched a NEW Confidence Loop Test for stable repeatable Loop Tests What does that say about the MfT1711, Mft1721 and 1731 ???, you are right the MFT Pro isn’t for a domestic electrician which is why in the next 12 months or so we will have a MFT Eco to combat this market too.

That is good to hear, it will probably sell well , but I am old fashioned in the sense that I like to buy products direct from the manufacturer. There are only two manufacturers in the UK and that is Megger and Fluke, the rest of you just really act as agents / salesmen for overseas companies and the designs and responsibilities as such are not your own.
Like you said with the last multifunction you immediately passed the blame onto CEM which is what most resellers would do on expensive items.

That is good to hear, it will probably sell well , but I am old fashioned in the sense that I like to buy products direct from the manufacturer. There are only two manufacturers in the UK and that is Megger and Fluke, the rest of you just really act as agents / salesmen for overseas companies and the designs and responsibilities as such are not your own.
Like you said with the last multifunction you immediately passed the blame onto CEM which is what most resellers would do on expensive items.

Brian, you need to do more research before comment that’s the only reason I picked up with what you’re saying I know where Megger and Fluke come from and neither manufacturer in the U.K., Flukes repairs are done in Holland and there Amprobe re badged Fluke Testers come from China, Fluke also have a massive factory in China, but thanks for your feedback but to say all our Meters come Fromm
China and are re badged are wrong, HT Italia are a partner and we do have say what goes in our testers we haven’t just changed the colour TIS is a family run business my Dads been in Test Equipment for over 40 Years, My business partner has been in it 25 years so we’ve a good technical background on Test Equipment

You seem to be getting a bit defensive now Steve, I hope I didn't touch a raw nerve, not the intention just passing an opinion which may be right or wrong. Selling test equipment and having a technical background are two different things, I never met a rep yet from any of the manufacturers who I would call technical , mainly sales BS from a script. Do you realise what you are saying, have you looked at the size and turnover of Megger and Fluke compared to HT Italia. They could buy them eat them for dinner and spit them out from their loose change.
I also think you need to do a little more research yourself regarding Megger and Fluke because you are way off the mark, as a senior technical director and more recently purchasing director I have had the pleasure of visiting the Megger facility in Dover and the Fluke facility in Norwich and while work may be duplicated in other countries they definitely manufacture and repair in both Dover and Norwich I have seen that with my own eyes. Maybe you should pay a visit. They are worldwide companies and are responsible for the design and manufacture of their own products irrespective of the country of manufacture. There is a difference between manufacturing product in a country and buying products from a third party manufacturer.

I am glad to hear that you have technical expertise within the company though even if you are not technical, if so you can get an answer to my original questions.

1. How does the meter measure volt drop
2. Explain the harmonics function and which type of engineers would use this and in which applications
3.The blurb mentions single phase and balanced 3 phase systems. How would the meter cope in an unbalanced 3 phase system?

You seem to be getting a bit defensive now Steve, I hope I didn't touch a raw nerve, not the intention just passing an opinion which may be right or wrong. Selling test equipment and having a technical background are two different things, I never met a rep yet from any of the manufacturers who I would call technical , mainly sales BS from a script. Do you realise what you are saying, have you looked at the size and turnover of Megger and Fluke compared to HT Italia. They could buy them eat them for dinner and spit them out from their loose change.
I also think you need to do a little more research yourself regarding Megger and Fluke because you are way off the mark, as a senior technical director and more recently purchasing director I have had the pleasure of visiting the Megger facility in Dover and the Fluke facility in Norwich and while work may be duplicated in other countries they definitely manufacture and repair in both Dover and Norwich I have seen that with my own eyes. Maybe you should pay a visit. They are worldwide companies and are responsible for the design and manufacture of their own products irrespective of the country of manufacture. There is a difference between manufacturing product in a country and buying products from a third party manufacturer.

I am glad to hear that you have technical expertise within the company though even if you are not technical, if so you can get an answer to my original questions.

1. How does the meter measure volt drop
2. Explain the harmonics function and which type of engineers would use this and in which applications
3.The blurb mentions single phase and balanced 3 phase systems. How would the meter cope in an unbalanced 3 phase system?
Still waiting for an exlanation , these people do not know their products and I believe they have retracted their claims of this being the “only 18th edition compliant tester” after a legal threat ans publication from a large manufacturer. Just shows how amateurish CEF are promoting these products . Professional wholesalers and technical buyers know better.

As it happens the TIS rep was at the City branch with his MFT Pro today. He couldn't demo the PQA functions in the store. But he s up for letting me have a proper go on it.
So, we'll see

I've had a little go with this tester now and I've decided it's going back to the shop.
Heres the thing.
It measures continuity between terminal B1 and terminal B4, but
insulation resistance is measured between B1 and B3. Can you see what I'm getting at.
When I'm doing dead testing I don't want to be fiddling with the test leads. Suppose me or my monkey forgets to swap the lead over after testing R1 + R2 . The instrument doesn't warn me, I get really good test results for Riso.
To my mind this is a fundemental error of design.
There are many other features this tester has, power factor and harmonic distortion analysis and all kinds of RCD and VOCB testing, but it is a reduced function version of the HT GSC60 and that suffers the same flaw.
I have to say I 'm quite dissappointed, I got really excited about trying out this tester, it didn't even have that new gizmo smell. Oh well.

It is a reduced version of the HTGSC60, just rebadged as TIS, HT have always struggled with this concept of not having the same terminals for loop and continuity and all of their testers are painfully slow.

It just wont sell prices against a Megger or a Fluke as a basic installation tester, the fancy bits like Power don’t come as standard you need to buy HT current clamps etc which cost half as much as the original tester. It is like advertising a car with sat nav but sat nav isnt enabled.

Overall it is an overpriced tester that does the basics reasonably OK but is fiddly to use, very slow and not robust.

My guess is these guys have done a great sales job convincing stockists to fill their shelves with these but I think the majority will still be on those shelves gathering dust in years to come.

Reply to opinions sought on the TIS MFT PRO in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock