Discuss outdoor light keeps tripping in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

Justinsane

advice greatly recieved....

I have an outdoor light which keeps tripping the RCD when there is a load connected.
I've tested continuity and polarity which seems fine. When a bulb is inserted and then switched on it trips the RCD, sometimes both RCDs and when I put one RCD back up it trips the second RCD (this has only happened once).

Any idea whats going on? The light is on a two way with one switch indoors and one outdoors.

I'm lost....

cheers,
Justin

Its an old fitting and i have replaced the outdoor switch.
I recently replaced the consumer unit to a split load.
The customer said that it worked fine before I changed the cu...

Could very well be a case of a borrowed neutral, or maybe have one the circuit neutrals crossed over from one RCD to the other RCD neutral bar.

I did an insulation resistance test but maybe i missed something....
I'll retest tomorrow.

advice greatly recieved....

I have an outdoor light which keeps tripping the RCD when there is a load connected.
I've tested continuity and polarity which seems fine. When a bulb is inserted and then switched on it trips the RCD, sometimes both RCDs and when I put one RCD back up it trips the second RCD (this has only happened once).

Any idea whats going on? The light is on a two way with one switch indoors and one outdoors.

I'm lost....

cheers,
Justin

hi there

i would respectfully suggest that you try anothr lamp we had a whole box of halogens where the end was not glued on correctly or however tehy fix them 100 lamps all the same !! odd but it does happen you change the lamp and think it is the fitting.

cheers

I had the same with a low energy bulb that blew rcd wouldnt reset removed all bulbs rcd reset tried one by one in lamp untill rcd tripped offending bulb binned. Still done all tests - fine (piece of mind).

Well I' ve checked the bulb and tried two others that work in other light fittings. Its a bulkhead type light which takes a BC bulb.

IR test was ok, the switch works fine when no load fitted and the fitting has the correct polarity.
Checked continuity between all the cables and switched live etc etc......

The pins in the fitting are a little bit wobbly but i cant imagine they would cause a problem....

I will try a new fitting first but if that doesnt work I'm in the dark (no pun intended!!)

Hi Justinsane did you get this one sorted? I have a friend who has a similar problem and he/i would be interested to know what the answer was in this case. - cheers.
i suppose if it had been water getting into the outside fitting and cable that would have shown on the insulation test?

Last edited by a moderator:
Best way is onece you have confirmed cables etc are ok try a temp replacment lamp just to confirm i always carry an old one just in case. If this doesnt cure it try an RCD test on half current as could be over sensitive.
Regards
Kung.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, I havent got it sorted yet, been doing a lot of outside work there.

Got to leave this job for a couple of weeks to do something else but will be back there soon and will try a new fitting and then....... I need to find where its supply is coming from.....The switch indoors is in old colours and the switch outside is in new colours so there must be a junction box somewhere......(or a terminal block stuffed somewhere!)

Reply to outdoor light keeps tripping in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock