Discuss Outdoor socket used as junction box in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Henry_

-
Reaction score
Hi,

I am currently building a new outbuilding in my garden to be used as an office which will end up having a reasonable amount of power usage (Heating, multiple computers, lighting and a few other bits and bobs) and I am looking at reusing a power feed that previously ran to a shed which was removed for the build. The armoured cable looks to be 8 core and from what I can tell should be more than up to the job.

The cable runs buried then up out of the ground to an outdoor RCD socket and a second length of cable also connected into the socket from back into the ground over to where I am constructing the office. The sockets are fairly inaccessible so I assume it was used as a junction box of sorts.

My question is, is that acceptable or should that really be replaced with a junction box?

Thanks!

Need more info, or pictures.. But as above you will need an Electrician..

Welcome to the forum mate.
What does the 8 core SWA cable connect to at your house?
As above, take pics of your house CU, 8 core SWA cable & outside socket.
Do you still use the outside socket?
See if there is any info of the 8 core SWA cable marked on the cable.
Measure the diameter of the cable and the wires and let us know.
Also need more info on what is cable is actually going to power. Give us a list of all equipment.

Couple of questions:
What size is the cable feeding the "outside socket/junction box"?
What size is the cable coming from the OSS/JB to your new build?
Have you any idea what the load will be required by your office?
No more question, you really as others have said need advice from someone who is competent, it may well be that you will need a new supply, as you have said the cable looks to be ample for the job, what leads you to that conclusion?

Reactions: DPG
if it's 8 core cable, probably cat5. :confused::confused::confused:

if it's 8 core cable, probably cat5. :confused::confused::confused:

If it's cat5 then at least he can have internet in the shed. :)
I'd do a laughing emoji but mine are not working....

The above emoji is by typing in the text... not the emoji tab below..

Since its multicore it could be that someone has extended a ring circuit from the house to the external socket.
I don't think it would be very sensible to extend this to the new outbuilding, and definately not by the method proposed in the OP.

I think others have already said - get an electrician - if it’s going to be used for heating, power, lighting - proper office outbuilding, it may need a supply direct from the fuse board on its own supply and mini board - again, professional advice is really needed here and that can only really be done by a visual inspection of the current set up.
It may also involve local building control due to the nature of the works. An electrician would be able to do this for you if they are registered with a professional body as part of the work....

Hi all, thanks for your replies. I should have included some pictures to get started with, I should have thought that through. I should not have decided to write the post at 3am, by 8 core I was referring to the strands within the cable which is largely irrelevant and not quite sure why I bothered to write that, what I should have said is its 2 core 4mm cable. I am certainly not stupid enough to mistake cat 5 for armored cable ;) From my understanding the 4mm cable has a 40+ amp rating and should be enough to run the outbuilding from without having to dig up the entire garden which would be good to avoid, but I am happy to be corrected!

Equipment running within the office will be two computers, 5 monitors, led lighting and an electric panel heater (Which will most likely be a 1000w model).

The reason I am asking about how the plug is wired is to me it seems an odd way to do it but given the previous owner of the house (claimed) to be an electrician I wondered if there was reason behind it or it was just some quick hack. The plug is not in a useful place and can be replaced with a junction box happily if that is a better approach. Prior to turning off the outdoor circuit the plug was in working order as were the plugs within the shed which has now been removed. The plug is not easily reached as its nested away behind a bamboo plant but it is an RCD outdoor switch which resembles the attached picture. Also attached is a picture of the cable and where it connects up in the garage.

Outdoor socket used as junction box ae235 - EletriciansForums.net

Outdoor socket used as junction box Cable - EletriciansForums.netOutdoor socket used as junction box Connection - EletriciansForums.net

The Crabtree CU already has a RCD for the circuit, so not sure why the socket has RCD as well.
Is the cable connected to the 16A breaker?
What does the 10A RCBO connect to?
They are both turned off.
How long is the run to the shed from the house?

The Crabtree CU already has a RCD for the circuit, so not sure why the socket has RCD as well.
Is the cable connected to the 16A breaker?
What does the 10A RCBO connect to?
They are both turned off.
How long is the run to the shed from the house?

The cable is connected to the the B16, the B10 is connected to some underfloor heating in the kitchen. Both of which as you say are turned off and have been for some time. The run is 25m.

Is the second cable from the outside socket to the shed also 4mm SWA?
Are there any extraneous parts in the shed?

Is the second cable from the outside socket to the shed also 4mm SWA?
Are there any extraneous parts in the shed?

Thanks for all your replies, really appreciate it. Yeah, the full run from the garage to the socket and from the socket to where the office is being built is all 4mm SWA. The shed is no longer there the cable in the picture is where it currently surfaces and if sufficient is what I hope will be connected into the office.

Reactions: DPG
Do you know how to glad off SWA cable correctly?

Reply to Outdoor socket used as junction box in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock