Discuss Overvoltage protection device - wiring in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
here I found some Siemens manual (attached) for OVD. As you can see, there wrote that for OVD device which is protected with 125A fuses, 16mm2 wire is enough? How it's possible, In my oppinion 16mm2 wire are too small for 125A current. Any oppinion?

SPD wiring.png

They are insufficient for prolonged use at a load of 125A, but surge protective devices will typically only be conducting (and thus carrying current) for very short periods of time (the duration of the transient which will typically be very short, a lot less than 1s).
If so, how then define the fuse, how to define how many Amps are OK, let's say we have incoming CB of 100A, and we need to install OVD in that distribution board...?

As said above it's more about time than current. I don't have BBB to hand and don't know if it helps but you could maybe have a look at the time/current graphs for an 100A fuse as a starting point to get a sense of how much current can flow before the device will trip.
Another thought here is that the higher the voltage rises (up to point it trips) the lower the current becomes and this may be relevant in the design recommendations in the manual.
Does the manual say how quickly it trips and at what level?

Surge protection will normally site there taking only microamps, until something in the kV region comes along following a lightning strike or major fault on an inductive load and you might have kA of current flowing as it diverts it to limit the voltage, but only for tens of microseconds.

In that sort of case the cable size is trivial from a heating point of view, and what matters more is inductance. Larger diameter (i.e. CSA) helps slightly there. As that normally dominates the impedance when looking at things in the microsecond region cable length and loop-area should be minimised. In your diagrams the "series connection" is all about that, sometimes it is called Kelvin or V-wiring (in this case cable size has to carry normal operating current).

But if something goes very wrong and the SPD disintegrates in to an arc you need to have some for of ultimate back-up. In many cases the supply fuse is enough when it is in the 100A or so region (depending on SPD, etc), but if the supply needs something larger you end up putting in a dedicated fuse or MCB for the SPD.

Generally a fuse is better electrically, as it has less inductance than the magnetic trip coil of a MCB, but for reasonably sized MCB and going for C or D curve, that can be kept to tolerable levels.

So when looking at the "parallel connection" cable size from a traditional circuit protection point of view, it simply has to be sized to meet the adiabatic limits of the OCPD. When looking at 100-160A fuse or 63A-ish MCBs for SPD backup you would be looking at least at 6mm^2 (e.g. Table B4 of the OSG) and in most cases 10-16mm would be a far safer choice.

Last edited:
Just to add, mains SPD modules normally have internal solder-joints to disconnect if they overheat, but that is not really OCPD as such. It is that opening that trips the little flags (or aux contacts for electronic monitoring) that you can use to see if it is still operable.

Reply to Overvoltage protection device - wiring in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net