Discuss Panel / AED Heater Setup Advice in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I run a local charity raising cash to install defibrillators (AED's) around our small town in South Manchester - Most of the 14 we have installed are either in an old phone box or attached to a building with a suitable power supply available for the lockbox heater (supplies just enough heat to protect the device from dropping below 5 degC.)

Our next site for an AED is at a local school gates of which is 100m away from any available power source (apart from street lighting however this opens a whole new can of worms dealing with the county council / highways agency - not easy) and the cost of installing a cable (through a field / car park) will use an awful lot of our available funds.

Therefore I need an independent device - Solar Panel, controller, battery, efficient heater, temperature controller, mounting post, etc.

The AED is located in a steel lockbox (with push button code available by calling 999) of which can easily be better insulated to protect the unit from the cold and can possibly be stored in a thermal bag to further reduce the demands on the heater?

Is there anywhere where I would be able to put a basic specification together and order a complete system?

Is there anything commercially available that may be close to our needs and with minor adaptation could be effective?

I really need guidance on selecting a suitable heater and from there we can get to controller, battery (for the winter months), control and panel size.

Thanks in advance,

Kev

Attachments

• Panel / AED Heater Setup Advice IMG_0551 (2).JPEG - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_0551 (2).JPEG
    465.4 KB · Views: 4
  • Panel / AED Heater Setup Advice IMG_0548 (3).JPEG - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_0548 (3).JPEG
    362 KB · Views: 4
Hi Kev
If you Google 'solar powered AED cabinet', which you may have already done, there is at least one product on the market.
Costly though!
I came across at least one forum discussing this, so a bit of research on the web might give some clues ?

Thanks all.
I am in discussions with the ambulance service to see if they are happy to register a publicly available unit without a heater as there is obviously a substantial saving if we can buy an insulated lock-box (£500) over a solar panel / heater lock-box (between £1800 and £2500).
In an ideal world obviously the solar version would be better and available 100% of the time where as an insulated version may only be available 98% of the time. However, if we then could then afford to have 2 units (including defibrillator) suitably positioned for example at either end of an estate reducing response times it may be an overall improvement???
In the UK would we expect the temperature to drop below zero for an AED stored in a thermal jacket and that stored within a heavily insulated box? It may be one advantage to global warming??
Should the ambulance service accept an unheated box I am leaning towards a that and then get hold of a temperature recorder such that we can monitor the extremes and go from there.

Last edited:
I think @pirate has installed defibs, might be worth seeing if he can help.

Or was it soneone else on here?

Sorry, just found this thread. I've only installed 1 so far, and it is on the wall of my local branch of the Men's Shed charity, so we went with the version with mains power for the heater. We have it checked regularly just to make sure all the indicators are showing everything in order.
Sorry I can't assist with the solar powered type, but it has given me an idea for another site we have where a defib would be in an excellent position for public access. We have access to a K6 telephone box in the local village precinct, but it has no mains power. I'd be grateful for any more comments on this.

Hi, I am in a similar situation and I wondered whether you managed to get around this issue please?

Thanks

Reply to Panel / AED Heater Setup Advice in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock