Discuss Part M regs? socket heights and other important regs in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

kris jones

-
Mentor
Reaction score
Hi All,

For my own knowledge I would like to easily access some of the fundamental regulations such as minimum distances for sockets and locations of 'stuff' to comply with current regs.
Ive a copy of the 17th edition but I struggle to find anything even with the table of contents!
I need something that says 'If you install a socket it need to be 450-1200 etc' - easy to understand and find

Is there anywhere online that some of the most important (not that its not all important!) regs can be easily found? Ive tried but Im needing a little help.

Thanks in advance.

Hi All,

For my own knowledge I would like to easily access some of the fundamental regulations such as minimum distances for sockets and locations of 'stuff' to comply with current regs.
Ive a copy of the 17th edition but I struggle to find anything even with the table of contents!
I need something that says 'If you install a socket it need to be 450-1200 etc' - easy to understand and find

Is there anywhere online that some of the most important (not that its not all important!) regs can be easily found? Ive tried but Im needing a little help.

Thanks in advance.
For socket heights etc you want to take a look at approved document M which is for access and use of buildings.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...BR_PDF_AD_M1_2015_with_2016_amendments_V3.pdf

If you want to familiarise yourself with the building regulations involved with electrical installation work then I would purchase a copy of this

Electrician's Guide to the Building Regulations: Pt. P (Wiring Regulations): Pt. P (Wiring Regulations): Amazon.co.uk: Paul Cook: 9780863418624: Books - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Electricians-Guide-Building-Regulations-Wiring/dp/0863418627

It's not in bs 7671 you need to get a copy of part m of the building regs off the net.

It only applies to new builds but some labc officers think it applies to extensions too.

One of the books you can buy is the ' Electricians Guide to the Building Regulations' as what you refer to in your post are not in BS 7671 , they are building regulations.
The IET publication 'The On Site Guide' is what it says , and is what you are looking for regarding the most common information required regarding electrical work.
There are many other publications available from the IET and Amazon, and many other sources.
Lol Lee beat me to it.

many thanks all.

This means that old installs can be kept as was assuming all is safe?
Approved document M says for work on an existing building that did not comply with the applicable requirements of the building regulations the building must not be no more unsatisfactory in relation to the requirements than before the work was carried out.

One of the books you can buy is the ' Electricians Guide to the Building Regulations' as what you refer to in your post are not in BS 7671 , they are building regulations.
The IET publication 'The On Site Guide' is what it says , and is what you are looking for regarding the most common information required regarding electrical work.
There are many other publications available from the IET and Amazon, and many other sources.
Lol Lee beat me to it.
would of liked that but the like button is AWOL :confused:

its totally relevant. I said above 'old installs can be kept as long as they are safe?' meaning...if an old installation is 'ok' you wouldn't need to rip it out and replace it purely for the sake of bringing it up to current standards if it was ok and safe to use.

im asking purely as I want to learn more. Im not working on anything and have no intention of

If you are adding sockets to an old house, where they are on the skirting board I would persuade the customer not to replicate the Same height. That said if they are on the skirting I would be looking at the existing wiring very closely before agreeing anything

The requirements of Part M are advisory and an attempt to standardise electrical installations.
Should be used in new builds where the end user is unknown.
In all other instances, the requirements of the customer/client takes precedence.

I wrote this list of the building regulations requirements applicable to electrical work, it does not cover BS7671 as there is too much to cover there, but covers the additional specs of the building regulations.
This was written some time ago so may not be up to date, I have had a quick check and it should be close, but may be a useful reference.

Attachments

• Building Regulations Parts Applicable to Electrical Work.pdf
    71 KB · Views: 56

Reply to Part M regs? socket heights and other important regs in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net