Discuss Part P Assessment in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

mpfisher@hotmai

Hello Boys.
I had my assessment with Elecsa and i'm pleased to say I passed! Just thought I'd let you know the questions "he" asked me, so they may help anyone else taking the test.

1 How do you tell it's a TNC-S system?
2 What's the max Ze permitted for a TNC-S system?
3 What's the max Ze permitted for a TNS system?
4 Explain how to test a ring circuit and what results you should expect to get?
5 Where are the safe zones?
6 What depth (%) vertically can you chase a wall?
7 what depth (%) horizontally can you chase a wall?
8 What size hole (%) can you drill a floor joist and how far from top and bottam must it be?
9 On a new build what % of the lighting should be low energy?
10 What is the height requirements on a new build for switches and sockets?

Hope it helps some of you

Mark

on no.4 on ring circuit test. ive wondered this me self like is the inspector gonna want me to do a figure of eight test or just test ring continuity on line, neatral, and earth at the consumer unit, expecting line and neutral to be the same and earth to be 1.67 times greater?

rich

But you also have to prove each socket is correctly connected, get the highest Zs and perform RCD checks as well as the dead checks of continuity and IR.

thats what im meaning are the gonna want it linking up figure of eight style and readings taken at each outlet, or do they want end of ring testing and just standard Zs test at each socket outlet, obviously ir and rcd aswell

thats what im meaning are the gonna want it linking up figure of eight style and readings taken at each outlet, or do they want end of ring testing and just standard Zs test at each socket outlet, obviously ir and rcd aswell

well a ring test is all three stages: end to ends, and the cross connects

if he wanted stage 1 only, then what would be the end to ends;)

Boys..... number 4 like some of you said its the figure of 8 test "he's" lookin for and also the ring bridge test like shakey mentioned......

The guy from elecsa seemed a working class bloke and not a university type and he just wants to know you have an idea and not a total plantpot!....... it's really not that bad...... elecsa the future i say!!!!

And boys back to number 4 if i may............... he asked me to explain the test....but not actually do the test......so that made it easier........

Last edited by a moderator:
forgive me if im wrong but is the figure of eight test not infact the bridge test?,or is that what you have said and ive miss interprated it! sorry if i have! lol
where you connect L1 - N2 and L2 - N1 and go round all the socket outlets and provided all outlets are within 0.05 ohms then theres no bridge in the circuit? then tested in the same manor for the cpc? what is the definitive ring test procedures 1 - 3

Sparkyork hello mate.
1. End to end tests on line neutral and cpc
2.Cross connect opposite ends of line and neutral(figure of 8) and test at each socket and the results should be substantially the same (bridge test)
3. Cross connect line and cpc and test (figure of 8) (R1+R2)

Hope this helps

Mark

Looking through the list, can any of us answer all of them from memory?? In my case I'd have a mental blank on 6,7 and 8. I KNOW there are regulations that apply for these items, but I would have to look them up. OSG, regs and GN3 live in the van for this purpose.

I think that most of us should be able to get through the majority of the list by knowing it, or being able to convince the examiner we aren't a "Plant pot", but how would they take to the reply of "Sorry mate - I just look it up in the OSG as and when I need to know that?" - which after all is a truthful answer, and the reason it's called an on site guide and supposed to be with you on site for that purpose?

Looking through the list, can any of us answer all of them from memory?? In my case I'd have a mental blank on 6,7 and 8. I KNOW there are regulations that apply for these items, but I would have to look them up. OSG, regs and GN3 live in the van for this purpose.

I think that most of us should be able to get through the majority of the list by knowing it, or being able to convince the examiner we aren't a "Plant pot", but how would they take to the reply of "Sorry mate - I just look it up in the OSG as and when I need to know that?" - which after all is a truthful answer, and the reason it's called an on site guide and supposed to be with you on site for that purpose?
Hello........
No 7. i didn't know the answer off the top of my head and told him that, so he asked me to make a guess. Which was wrong by the way. But now i know and that is what the assesment is about.

It's 1/6th or 16.66 % of the width of the wall

Congrats on the Elecsa pass; I have my assessment in a month - am doing the 17th edition C&G in a couple of weeks.

Errm....where ARE the safe zones?

Thanks

where ARE the safe zones?

522.6.6 in the Red Book for the Reg. Page 53 of the current OSG, or page 28 of the Electrician's Guide, for the picture.

9 On a new build what % of the lighting should be low energy?

This is under Part L and I'm not sure there is a percentage. Table 10.6 (page 127) of the Electrician's Guide gives a recommended number of low energy lights vs number of rooms created but no mention of percentages.

Last edited by a moderator:
522.6.6 in the Red Book for the Reg. Page 53 of the current OSG, or page 28 of the Electrician's Guide, for the picture.

This is under Part L and I'm not sure there is a percentage. Table 10.6 (page 127) of the Electrician's Guide gives a recommended number of low energy lights vs number of rooms created but no mention of percentages.
25% of light fittings should be low energy but this only applies to new builds

Hi Mark,
What was the name of your assessor please? I've got mine on Monday!!! Very nervous!!! Cheers.

Hello........
No 7. i didn't know the answer off the top of my head and told him that, so he asked me to make a guess. Which was wrong by the way. But now i know and that is what the assesment is about.

It's 1/6th or 16.66 % of the width of the wall

There is no need to guess at any questions you have the books in front of you,it's not a test of your memory. Examiners know you won't remember all the answers to every question, they are trying to establish that you can find the correct answers in the bgb etc.
ben

This post is five years old!

@lastie
Do not worry about it have all your books to hand, all your paperwork ready, make sure you know where to look things up if you don't know. A breeze.

Reply to Part P Assessment in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock