Discuss Part P or 2391 in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

5cm is regardless of wall construction

if the ring was already on an RCD then the spur would be covered

If not as long as YOUR spur was on an rcd you would be allright, or surface mount the cable and label the socket as you have said

Darius, are you taking the mickey, mate?

You having a laugh?

Did you read my post:confused:

look, once and for all

THE 2391 IS NOT CHANGING!!!!!!!!!!!

the 2391 is staying as the 2391, what the hell has July got to do with anything?

The 2392 is an entrirely seperate beast

jeez, my throat is getting sore I have said this on here so often:mad:

as regards all your study material Darius, keep it

Zs is stil Zs

PEFC is still PEFC

only changes are IR values, terminology from Direct / indirect contact to Basic / fault protection, papaerwork changes (mainly on schedule of inspoections) and verification of voltage drop using circuit impedence

apart from that its all good

I have students who have passed the practical (under the 16th) and we will be resitting their written papaer under ther 17th

How can they do that? Because the 2391 is staying as the 2391:p

Taking the mickey? I wouldn't do that mate. Not to you. I must admit I was a bit confused but now I saw the light.

Thanks very much mate. We must sit down Friday night and start with a bottle of Johnny Walker black lable. I know you said never again after last Friday night but hey......

Taking the mickey? I wouldn't do that mate. Not to you. I must admit I was a bit confused but now I saw the light.

Thanks very much mate. We must sit down Friday night and start with a bottle of Johnny Walker black lable. I know you said never again after last Friday night but hey......

No probs Darius

i just get a bit narky when i go to great lengths to answer posts fully and accurately, and people just jump in without reading them

and cant do Friday, off to a gig, maybe next week:p

Malc, how do you reckon 2391 will be obselete? and what do you think will replace it?

Whatr do you think will happen to all the exisitng 2391 holders?:confused:

Look, all that has happened is people who taken 2391 up to now have taken it based on the 16th edition

People who take it from now on will take it based on the17th edition, but, and this is the point, there is NOTHING on the 2391 certificate (other than the date) which states which addition of the regs was in force when the exam was sat

existing 2391 holders simply have to update their regs qual, their 2391 is still (and always will be!) valid, it certainly isnt obselete!:p

are you aware of what the 2392 is? I have seen you mention it on a few posts

The 2392 is the Fundamental certificate in inspection and testing. It is a Level 2 qual (2391 is Level 3) and concentrates on initial verification only

there is a full test on a simple single phase board and a 45Q multi choice on line exam

it is meant as a 'stepping stone' to the 2391, but is not a requirement.

and regarding the regs and 2391, holding 2381 or 2382 is not a pre-requisite for sitting the 2391

hope this has cleared it up for you

oh, and before you bounce back with "but I was told by.......", I am the training manager for a private company, and teach all of these courses, including 2392 AND 2391, and shall continue to do so !!!!

Sorry to disagree Shakey

When I did 2391 in 2005, the college I went to would not let you do it unless you had 2380/1 and if you wanted to do 2400 (now 2391/02) you had to have both before they would let you do that course.:rolleyes:

Sorry to disagree Shakey

When I did 2391 in 2005, the college I went to would not let you do it unless you had 2380/1 and if you wanted to do 2400 (now 2391/02) you had to have both before they would let you do that course.:rolleyes:

yes Ian, the college told you, NOT C&G!!!!

most colleges follow this rule

i would not let students on my 2391 courses unless they had considerable regs experience and teat & inspect experience, but those are MY rules, not C&G!

the C&G 2391 qualification handbook specifically backs up what i have said, that it is RECCOMENDED that candidates have considerable knowledge of the wiring regs (but not the qual) and theres a reason for it

It is quite feasible that someone could apply to sit the 2391, but holds the EAL 17th edition wiring regs qual, if C&G insisted you had to have THEIR 17th edition qual (for example) then they would be effectively running a cartel

5cm is regardless of wall construction

if the ring was already on an RCD then the spur would be covered

If not as long as YOUR spur was on an rcd you would be allright, or surface mount the cable and label the socket as you have said

ah ok so does it have to be surface mount for labelled cables then? If so that sort of helps but not really. I am sort of getting it now. DOes anyone have any reconmendations for good reading material on the new regs that are well explained or is it too early in the 17th edition for 3rd party reference guides?

For those that are being confused by conflicting answers about C&G 2381/2391 exams

The City&Guilds website is definitive since they set the exams not anyone else. The following page lists the current C&G Qualifications for Electricians. City & Guilds | Electrical installation

You will see that 2381 and 2391 are specifically based on the 16th Edition of the Regulations. For example in the 2381 C&G documentation it states: "The Certificate described in this scheme is the Level 3 Certificate for the Requirements for Electrical Installations BS7671: June 2001".

If your are starting from scratch on this route you would choose to follow 2382-10 and the new 2391-xx as these are based on the 17th Edition.

If you are already taken the 16th Edition exams, you can upgrade 2381 with the 2382-20 and upgrade the 2391 with the latest version 2391-xx.

Since posting this 1/2 hour ago, I have discovered the following comments:
City and Guilds 2391 and 2392 Qualifications Following extensive feedback from centres City and Guilds have decided to go back to their original ‘2391’ numbering system from the ‘2392’ system. That's so candidates, centres and employers are always clear that their candidate holds an inspection and testing or design qualification, rather then the new lower level certificate in fundamental initial verification. Both existing 2391 qualifications have been updated to accord with the new 17th edition of the wiring regulations, so will still have new numbers under the 2391 scheme indicating whether a candidate has a 16th or 17th edition aligned qualification. To find out more please click the following links. If you are still not sure give City & Guilds a call as they will give you the definitive answer.
You will also find that the City&Guilds website is being modified right now for this achange and some links are failing.

Don't forget that from 1st July 2008 if you have not got the 17th Edition Wiring Regulations your in breach of EWRegs / HSE25 / HSG85 whenever you work. You cannot be a "Competent person" unless you know the 17th Edition of the Wriring Regulations or are working as a "Skilled person" under supervision.

ah ok so does it have to be surface mount for labelled cables then? If so that sort of helps but not really. I am sort of getting it now. DOes anyone have any reconmendations for good reading material on the new regs that are well explained or is it too early in the 17th edition for 3rd party reference guides?

The most accurate answers will be found on the Electrical Safety Coulcil site at this point: Electrical Safety Council

The answer to your question will be found in section ED.
Also the Connections magazine from NICEIC (Welcome to NICEIC, the home of electrical contracting excellence — NICEIC Group) has usefull information in each issue. I use the Technical helpline regularly - pays for registration many times over!

Have you got the 17th Edition Wiring Regulations yet?

Last edited by a moderator:
For those that are being confused by conflicting answers about C&G 2381/2391 exams

The City&Guilds website is definitive since they set the exams not anyone else. The following page lists the current C&G Qualifications for Electricians. City & Guilds | Electrical installation

You will see that 2381 and 2391 are specifically based on the 16th Edition of the Regulations. For example in the 2381 C&G documentation it states: "The Certificate described in this scheme is the Level 3 Certificate for the Requirements for Electrical Installations BS7671: June 2001".

If your are starting from scratch on this route you would choose to follow 2382-10 and the new 2391-xx as these are based on the 17th Edition.

If you are already taken the 16th Edition exams, you can upgrade 2381 with the 2382-20 and upgrade the 2391 with the latest version 2391-xx.

Since posting this 1/2 hour ago, I have discovered the following comments:
City and Guilds 2391 and 2392 Qualifications Following extensive feedback from centres City and Guilds have decided to go back to their original ‘2391’ numbering system from the ‘2392’ system. That's so candidates, centres and employers are always clear that their candidate holds an inspection and testing or design qualification, rather then the new lower level certificate in fundamental initial verification. Both existing 2391 qualifications have been updated to accord with the new 17th edition of the wiring regulations, so will still have new numbers under the 2391 scheme indicating whether a candidate has a 16th or 17th edition aligned qualification. To find out more please click the following links. If you are still not sure give City & Guilds a call as they will give you the definitive answer.​
You will also find that the City&Guilds website is being modified right now for this achange and some links are failing.

Don't forget that from 1st July 2008 if you have not got the 17th Edition Wiring Regulations your in breach of EWRegs / HSE25 / HSG85 whenever you work. You cannot be a "Competent person" unless you know the 17th Edition of the Wriring Regulations or are working as a "Skilled person" under supervision.

The most accurate answers will be found on the Electrical Safety Coulcil site at this point: Electrical Safety Council

The answer to your question will be found in section ED.
Also the Connections magazine from NICEIC (Welcome to NICEIC, the home of electrical contracting excellence — NICEIC Group) has usefull information in each issue. I use the Technical helpline regularly - pays for registration many times over!

Have you got the 17th Edition Wiring Regulations yet?

Malc, some of your comments are misleading - no-one needs to 'upgrade' their 2391 qual. indeed, C&G wont let you re-sit a qual that you already hold!!!

if someone has 2391, all they need to do is upgrade their 17th edition qual

and the number change from 2392 back to 2391? that was sorted out last year!!!!!!

i have had enough of a battle on here convincing people that the 2392 is new qual, and that 2391 is staying as it is without you confusing things with your comments

and how exactly will you be breaching the EAWR's if you havent got the 17th edition after 01 Jul? Which part exactly would you be breaching? And do you mean the book itself, or the qual?

After 01 Jul people can still work to the 16th (in certain circumstances) so how would someone be breaching the EAWR's?

After 01 Jul people can still work to the 16th (in certain circumstances) so how would someone be breaching the EAWR's?

Which part of the BS7671: 2008 17th Edition Wiring Regulations state that there are "certain circumstances" where you can still work to the 16th Edition please?

You are the one who is misleading working electricians!

There is no C&G 2391 course (they were to be 2392-10 -20 and -30). The current certificates from City & Guilds are:
C&G 2392-10: Certificate in Fundermental Inspection, Testing and Initial Verification

C&G 2391-10: Certificate on Inspection, Testing and Reporting of Existing Electrical Instalations

C&G 2391-20: Certificate in Design, Erection and Verification of Electrical Installations

Which part of the BS7671: 2008 17th Edition Wiring Regulations state that there are "certain circumstances" where you can still work to the 16th Edition please?

You are the one who is misleading working electricians!

There is no C&G 2391 course (they were to be 2392-10 -20 and -30). The current certificates from City & Guilds are:
C&G 2392-10: Certificate in Fundermental Inspection, Testing and Initial Verification

C&G 2391-10: Certificate on Inspection, Testing and Reporting of Existing Electrical Instalations

C&G 2391-20: Certificate in Design, Erection and Verification of Electrical Installations

Try reading Page 4 my friend

It clearly says "Installations DESIGNED after 30 June 2008 are to comply with BS7671:2008"

You could deisgn an installation in May, and install it in Sep to BS7671:2001 as ammended 2004.

You could start an installation in May, which would not be complete until Oct, this could also be done to the 16th

So these are two "certain circumstances" when you can still work to the 16th after 01 Jul

Regarding 2391, I am the training manager for a private training company, I deal with C&G on a daily basis, and also teach 2391 (as well as 2392). I have devoloved authority from C&G to independently authorise my own practical exam results for both 2392 and 2391 - and they dont give that away with a box of cornflakes!

You are being somewhat pedantic. By your reasoning, there has NEVER been a 2391 then! 2391, as with most C&G quals, have a number afterwards to differntiate between sub-quals. The point is it has ALWAYS had it, so there has never been a 'stand-alone' 2391 qual, it has always been 2391- (something)

The point is it does NOT need upgrading, as you have suggest earlier, and THAT is misleading people.

People have become confused because 2391 was changing to part of the 2392 series, but C&G quickly changed their minds, because of people like me standing up at their seminars complaining.

So people ended up thinking that 2392 was the 'new' 2391.

I have worked hard on this forum to let people know what is happening - 2392 is new, and is only level 2, 2391 is remaining unchanged (save the number change at the end) and no-one who is 2391 qualified is ALLOWED to upgrade their qual, never mind needs to!

Upgarding to a BS7671:2008 qual automatically upgrades your 2391 qual.

You appear to be trying to 'stamp your authority' here, but in my opinion you are not helping matters, in this this transitional period when there is a lot of heresay and conjencture out there

oh, and I would still like to know how someone would be in breach of the EAWR's??????

Try reading Page 4 my friend

It clearly says "Installations DESIGNED after 30 June 2008 are to comply with BS7671:2008"

You could deisgn an installation in May, and install it in Sep to BS7671:2001 as ammended 2004.

You could start an installation in May, which would not be complete until Oct, this could also be done to the 16th

So these are two "certain circumstances" when you can still work to the 16th after 01 Jul

Regarding 2391, I am the training manager for a private training company, I deal with C&G on a daily basis, and also teach 2391 (as well as 2392). I have devoloved authority from C&G to independently authorise my own practical exam results for both 2392 and 2391 - and they dont give that away with a box of cornflakes!

You are being somewhat pedantic. By your reasoning, there has NEVER been a 2391 then! 2391, as with most C&G quals, have a number afterwards to differntiate between sub-quals. The point is it has ALWAYS had it, so there has never been a 'stand-alone' 2391 qual, it has always been 2391- (something)

The point is it does NOT need upgrading, as you have suggest earlier, and THAT is misleading people.

People have become confused because 2391 was changing to part of the 2392 series, but C&G quickly changed their minds, because of people like me standing up at their seminars complaining.

So people ended up thinking that 2392 was the 'new' 2391.

I have worked hard on this forum to let people know what is happening - 2392 is new, and is only level 2, 2391 is remaining unchanged (save the number change at the end) and no-one who is 2391 qualified is ALLOWED to upgrade their qual, never mind needs to!

Upgarding to a BS7671:2008 qual automatically upgrades your 2391 qual.

You appear to be trying to 'stamp your authority' here, but in my opinion you are not helping matters, in this this transitional period when there is a lot of heresay and conjencture out there

oh, and I would still like to know how someone would be in breach of the EAWR's??????

Well said Shakey it's not the first posting that this person has tried to say that only he is correct:rolleyes:

2391 Is The Only Way To Go,dont Go For A Lengthy Course Spread Out Over Numerous Weeks As You Will Forget So Much,do It Over A Four Day Course As This Is The Most Successful For Pass Marks I Have Found.

£ 500 for the 4 day course (if it includes the exam ) is a lot cheaper than mine was 2 years ago
I paid almost £800
When I was taking the course for dec 06 exam the government decided to drop the electrics from the Hip
What a let down that was
Knowing my luck If I had failed they would have kept it in, just to make things awkward for me
Damn politicians :(
Just had a look at the 2391 certificate and it does have the numbers after it 2391-01
It was a nice feeling passing that exam but to be honest it has made no difference to my working life at all
But good luck to anybody taking it My experience of it was that a lot of hard work had to be put in, so to anybody attaining it You can be proud of yourselves

yes Ian, the college told you, NOT C&G!!!!

most colleges follow this rule

i would not let students on my 2391 courses unless they had considerable regs experience and teat & inspect experience, but those are MY rules, not C&G!

the C&G 2391 qualification handbook specifically backs up what i have said, that it is RECCOMENDED that candidates have considerable knowledge of the wiring regs (but not the qual) and theres a reason for it

It is quite feasible that someone could apply to sit the 2391, but holds the EAL 17th edition wiring regs qual, if C&G insisted you had to have THEIR 17th edition qual (for example) then they would be effectively running a cartel

Shakey, does that mean that with having passed my 16-th edition 5 years ago I can still sit 2391 to the new 17-ed, because I was refused 2391 course in april because I was told by the college that I had to do the 17-ed course first, which is a pain for me because of the time it takes I want to go for a 12 weeks 2391 course asap, I am pretty confident with my inspection&testing knowledge although I want that 12 weeks course, because I know that these exams are not easy and I may need a refreshment.

a.walk

Reading this it looks as if our local college has made a mistake. They told me that the 2392 replaces the 2391 and I believed them. They offer a 17 week course level 3 Inspection, Testing and Certification of Electrical Installations and gives it the ref 2392. I've since read this thread and the C&G website, which does indeed confirm that the course I'm enrolled for is likely to be the 2391.

Shakey, does that mean that with having passed my 16-th edition 5 years ago I can still sit 2391 to the new 17-ed, because I was refused 2391 course in april because I was told by the college that I had to do the 17-ed course first, which is a pain for me because of the time it takes I want to go for a 12 weeks 2391 course asap, I am pretty confident with my inspection&testing knowledge although I want that 12 weeks course, because I know that these exams are not easy and I may need a refreshment.

a.walk

well obviously, as the 2391 is 17th edition based you need to have a good knowledge of the 17th edition, but that doesnt mean do a 17th edition course.

If you are confident and competent in the use of the regs, then why not sit exam only, or just sit a 1 day refresher course, then sit the full 17th edition exam?

these are all options open to you, and might be worth exploring:)

well obviously, as the 2391 is 17th edition based you need to have a good knowledge of the 17th edition, but that doesnt mean do a 17th edition course.

If you are confident and competent in the use of the regs, then why not sit exam only, or just sit a 1 day refresher course, then sit the full 17th edition exam?

these are all options open to you, and might be worth exploring:)

Well I am running a building company and I have a sparky who deals with all ECA things, but as we are getting smaller I think I would have to deal with it myself (I'm also a spark with 16-ed,), but I don't want to do a 3 mths of 17-th ed course, I already found one day update to 17-ed and 3 mths (12 weeks, one day a week) of inspection and testing. We do do electrics all the time and I am pretty up to date, although I also deal with other things in my company and that's why I thought I,d refresh myself specifically on inspection and testing.
I wonder why they don't do a 12 days in a row course? (or may be I am being too nervous) what do you think about those 3day full time courses? are they any good? For me it is more about preparing to the exam itself not about the Ohm or Kirchoff's Law.
What I also found is that surfing on this forum is pretty usefull, as some of you guys have really interesting things to say.:)
I've done a college and three years at uni (all to do with electrics and electronics) but sometimes you learn more by sharing your experience than reading the book.

because of the credit crunch etc. and the slow down in the housing market, jobs that where expected to be completed now or on going have been closed or moth balled, as they where priced months ago they are still being installed to the 16th, sup. bonding in bath rooms etc.
all new work is being done to 17th and all work still on going by december next year has to change to 17th

Reply to Part P or 2391 in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock