Discuss Part P Police in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Sorry for raising blood temperature. Seems there are simular issues in all sorts of electrical trade, maybe thats part of the issue, no common recognition. After all its all electrical just different branches. Different for me because im not in the domestic segment but unfourtunatly deal with same type of issues.

I also work in the industrial sector. But fortunatly for me, every mechanical guy I have worked with has admitted they are no electrician and they wouldnt touch any electrical system apart from the basic 24VDC used in most control systems. But I have heard some horror stories from the older electricians I work with.

One such story is a mechanical guy who did one of those fast track electrician courses. He was asked to wire up a 197A 3 phase motor. That motor had a start up current of rougly 260A (a rule of thumb is add a third of the running current to get the start up current) and he used 10mm 4 core SWA. BANG! :eek:

I have also had a horror story in my workplace involving an "electrician" who had served a 4 year apprenticeship and was doing his HNC at the time he came to do the work. He was connecting some 200A compressors in the plant room, he couldnt find the right size lugs for the job (95mm i think it was) so he decided to use 50mm lugs with the 95mm cable and just wrap the remaining strands in tape and proceeded with the job. I managed to find these lugs while I was checking the system ready for first power up. I have photos on my computer somehwere of the shoddy workmanship. Il upload when I find them.

So it just goes to show that even people who have served a full apprenticeship are sometimes dangerous.

Contridiction to my first post? :confused:

Anyway...Essay over! :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree that there is simply no comparison between a four year apprenticeship and a six week course. I have done the domestic installer course myself and frankly was shocked (no pun) at how little I was taught. But still passed the electrotechnical, building regs, and 17th edition exams.

I would have absolutely loved to be able to do an apprenticeship, and done it properly. I always wanted to be an 'electrician' and left a secure job to retrain as one. BUT. I was told by three diffeent colleges that there was zero chance of me getting even a one year apprenticeship as part of a course, DUE TO MY AGE. I'm in my forties, and was gutted, as i had saved up just enough money to pay the fees, was working as a spark's mate in a domestic building company, thought i was all set up to do it properly.

Age discrimination got in the way, employers are scared if you're not straight out of school and eager to accept £20 a week. So ... there was a good reason for doing the domestic installers course, I had to. Why is it so hard for non school leavers to get an apprenticeship, aren't we all meant to be flexible and ready to adapt to a changing labour market etc etc, as the free market preachers would like it. Sorry for rant, but there's more to it than just saying the coure is crap (which I would tend to agree with anyway!)

Diversified a little from the part P but interesting none the less.

Dont think anyone is to old by the way acvc, comes down to if you are given a chance, unfourtunatly some are not! I have taken on two people in ther forties and giving them both the opertunity to become fully trained its going to take three to four years they are still being paid as skilled mechanical engineers. They get trained and i end up with two more people that are worth even more to me!

Good on you AndySmith. I wish there were more like you.

Yes sorry for going of topic. Won't happen again!:(

Legislation and idiots in offices will be the ruination of more than Sparking. Ref the panorama item on the use of a ladder or stepladder course for only £230.00 with an appropriate cert at the end of it. The HSE take a simple piece of Euro-babble and enlarge it into a book, and every other cretin within government justify their existence by churning out more unworkable rules and laws and restrictions that raise our insurance premiums and stop people thinking for themselves. Whatever happened to being responsible for your own safety. No matter what happens now, it's always somebody elses fault and they need to be sued. I served my time as a spark for five years between 1961 and '66 (13th.ed. in the UK then) and common sense was the rule of the day when you carried the can for your mistakes and not your boss or anyone else.. All these bits of legislation and Part Ps etc do is line the pockets of the various trade bodies and branches of Government. I'm glad to be retired and away from all this nonsense, and yeah I still do the odd bit for friends and family.

What a very good sensible post
For us older sparks it seems there is overboard mammying of individuals
Regulation of people, by people who are living on a different planet
The compensation culture that has swept the society as taken individual responsibility away and shielded it in this overwhelming tide of regulation
The depressing conclusion of it,unfortunately,is that it is self perpetuating and will continue unabated

You can say that again. Absolutley does my head in all this its some one else fault. Take responsibilty your self and if you dont know ask!

Reply to Part P Police in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock