Discuss PAT Testing 16th Edition Electrician in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

Roy Littlewood

Hi All.

I have been qualified as JIB Approved 16th edition electrician since around 1990 and have been working on industrial electrical systems almost up to the 17th edition came out, I didn't see much point doing the 17th edition as i don't need it in my job as I now work mainly on CEO machinery installation, commissioning and software (internationally).

My question is, as a 16th edition electrician I am capable of doing PAT testing and have done many times in the past during my electrical career, but am I still deemed as able to do the PAT testing for my company, which is mainly computers, laptops, office equipment and some power tools.

I have looked at online courses but to be honest I'm thinking it wont tell me much that I don't already know, so is it worth me taking an online training course or will me existing qualifications cover me for PAT testing?

As long as you are competent you can carry out PATesting although it's not called PATesting now it is, "In Service Inspection and testing of Electrical Equipment or ISTEE for short" no special qualifications needed, but you may like to get a copy of the code of Practice before you start.

No quals required
Absolutely agreed. But as I say I have had drummed into to me regards competence, it shows you are if you have the paper to prove it and that gets rid of one onerous legal strike against you if things go wrong. Certainly agree though no qualies required. Just saying.

Is that correct, I had 6 weeks on a Pat course,passed my exam & got certificate.
Mind you it got a bit boring after 2 weeks,there's only so much your tutor can talk about on that subject.
Yes it is true, 6 weeks PATesting course, cliffed sorry mate you have been had

My brother in law took the 3 day course some time ago, he is a chef by trade but wanted what he thought was an easy earner, he has had 10 time more jobs than i have, non of which are technical, forklift driver, shelf stacker, grass cutter,etc, etc but he has the qualifications!

I have been working all my life on electrical equipment, I was Senior Authorised on High Voltage for 3 years, i have completed many Inspection and testing jobs for Blue Chip companies, but without that qualification it looks like I am less qualified than my brother in law!

This is what I have found
The law states that in order to PAT test the individual must be a competent person. The definition of a competent person as per page 13 of the IEE Code of Practice 3rd edition states that the person must:
  • Have adequate knowledge of electricity
  • Have adequate experience of electrical work
  • Have adequate understanding of the system to be worked on and practical experience of that class of system
  • Have an understanding of the hazards that can arise during the work and precautions that need to be taken
  • Have the ability to recognise at all times whether it is safe for work to continue.

C& G 2337 cert,6 weeks about 8 years ago,is this course still going
I was SENT on this course by my employer 3 days waste of time really an hours practical and 2 and a bit days reading through the Code of practice, I have a copy somewhere if anyone wants it, pay for the postage, book FOC (if I can find it)

I was SENT on this course by my employer 3 days waste of time really an hours practical and 2 and a bit days reading through the Code of practice, I have a copy somewhere if anyone wants it, pay for the postage, book FOC (if I can find it)
Ha ha,yeah pretty boring,after a few weeks at it,the tutor hid resistors in plug tops,& asked us to find faults,it was mad.

Same thing.
Not really, an ECS for site work and to get an ECS card you need 17th edition qual, that in no way whatsoever says you need 17th for PATesting. You get a job PATesting in a Ladies Hairdressing Salon would you want an ECS or 17th for that? no of course not get real mate

Reply to PAT Testing 16th Edition Electrician in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net