Discuss PAT Testing IT IEC leads/risk assememt in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
In respect to the risk assement, and testing frequency of IEC leads. If the lead is permanently allocated to an IT appliance then should the frequency of testing be set as an IT appliance, or as it is a separate item, should it have its own frequency?

I think it should always be treated as a separate item. It is, after all, a separete bit of kit, and can be moved about to other gear.

As to frequency, I'd need to check with Kenneth...

I think it should always be treated as a separate item. It is, after all, a separete bit of kit, and can be moved about to other gear.

As to frequency, I'd need to check with Kenneth...
Frequency of repeat checks disregarding damage etc, is down to the Duty Holders discretion as far as I am aware, and on the course I took it was also stated that a recheck date was not required on the sticker, echoing the Duty Holder's responsibilities. Of course this may have changed, I'm not sure, certainly these facts were drummed into the course members, need to check with the CoP for ISITEE.

I agree it is up to the Duty Holder to decide, and a re-check date is not required on the sticker. However, most duty holders are reluctant employees, and look to the Tester to suggest re-test dates, which is fair enough in many situations...but that puts an extra responsibility on the Tester, who must use care in suggesting re-test frequency.

Asking Kenneth was simply a flippant reference to an REM song and was not at all helpful in this debate, merely a minor diversion to lighten my day...

and hopefully yours too!

I agree it is up to the Duty Holder to decide, and a re-check date is not required on the sticker. However, most duty holders are reluctant employees, and look to the Tester to suggest re-test dates, which is fair enough in many situations...but that puts an extra responsibility on the Tester, who must use care in suggesting re-test frequency.

Asking Kenneth was simply a flippant reference to an REM song and was not at all helpful in this debate, merely a minor diversion to lighten my day...

and hopefully yours too!
Thanks for that, never heard it before.

Thanks. You've been very helpful.
Don't suppose the\re are that many people interested in ISITEE trhese days TEL Sad when you think about the importance of safe electrical tools.

but on the other hand, pete, we never had pat, itsiee or whatever. when we wanted to use an appliance/tool, we checked it visually, plugged it in, it worked or went bang. nobody died, no trees were decimated, birds still flew, but those days we had common sense, not molly-coddled with stupid regs. these days a risk assessment is required for whenever you want a dump.

but on the other hand, pete, we never had pat, itsiee or whatever. when we wanted to use an appliance/tool, we checked it visually, plugged it in, it worked or went bang. nobody died, no trees were decimated, birds still flew, but those days we had common sense, not molly-coddled with stupid regs. these days a risk assessment is required for whenever you want a dump.
Agree Tel but unfortunately times and the PC rules change, common sense is out of the window, as long as you play the game?????????????????????

Martin, very soon after you start doing regular ISITEE, you will realise that treating detachable power cables as separate items is essential to the commercial viability of what you are doing, unless you want to work for the national living wage. You can easily waste 10-15 minutes on an appliance for various reasons, but often you can bang through the leads much quicker (especially moulded cordsets).

Make sure you charge for any extras you may do, such as fuse replacements (unless you're putting in a 13A, as that would be taking the pee), replacement plugtops (carry black and white and charge as 'supply and fit'), re-bushing inlet glands, etc, etc. Get the C5, C6, C7 and C8 adaptors so you can do all laptop chargers as separates. If you're touching bigger IT, then get the C19 & C20 adaptors.

If there are any consumables you can carry which you can sell as part of the service, do this. For us, it is RCD plugtop adaptors, for you it may be something different.

Agree Tel but unfortunately times and the PC rules change, common sense is out of the window, as long as you play the game?????????????????????
it's more a game of the snowflakes getting uppity when we refer to plugs/sockets as male/female. soon we'll be having gender neutral accessories foisted upon us.

Fair enough Spin, I don't test my kettle leads either, but I do test the customer's ones, to show due diligence and because it's chargeable.
Plus, you acquire so many with new appliances that there's always spares in the bag which you can charge for if you come across a dodgy one...not very often, though.

Reply to PAT Testing IT IEC leads/risk assememt in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock