Discuss Phone wiring problem. in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

Johnljones7443

Excuse me if this is in the wrong spot of the forum.

Recently all the wires from what I think is called a 'junction box' were torn out of it. The junction box is found near the door and contains wires going in and out.

I have tried putting all the wires back in under the screws and tightening them, but to no avail. The home phone will not ring when called, or make outgoing calls.

The wires coming in are White and Orange (I have been told these are the only two you use, not the black and green), and the outgoing wires are various colours with various colour stripes. On the internet, I found a 'map' of how to put them back. It goes as follows;

Outgoing: 2. Blue with white bands - Orange: Incoming
Outgoing: 3. Orange with white bands -
Outgoing: 4. White with orange bands -
Outgoing: 5. White with blue bands - White: Incoming

I have tried this, and even tried switching the incoming orange and white wires from 2 and 5 to 5 and 2 respectively, but still to no avail.

This said, the internet (BT - ADSL modem) doesn't seem to give a **** and works anyway, but the phone doesn't.

Could someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong, and what I should do (I can't afford an engineer to come over and leave 5 minutes later £150 richer).

Thank you,

John Jones.

O the incoming cable (from post) it could be either orange/white or green/black as the line pair. Unlikely to be yellows.

It should go to the BT master socket to the two screw terminals in the very back. mIf its not that type of socket that comes into 3 bits, its terminals 2 & 5 on a standard master socket .

Get your incoming line sorted and working first before you worry about the extensions to the rest of the house, leave them disconected.

I'm sorry I have no idea what you're talking about. I have no electrical experience what so ever. I was looking for a more 'here's what you do' kind of answer, but thanks for the help anyway.

As Spudmeister said go back to the main master socket. if it's a modern type undo the two face screws and pull out this in efect removes all the extensions. you should be left with a phone socket which is a clean feed from BT's Line. plug phone in if you have a dialling tone the line is ok and your phone should work. if not your phone is duff or the BT feed is faulty.
The extension block removed from the master socket should give you a clue as to the way the extension cable colour code has been wired if a cowboy has been there the cable colours could be meaningless.

Mike :)

The blue with white goes in to the termination numbered 2, white with blue goes in termination number 5.

just ignore all the rest of wires.

not all boxes (the older types) have numbers some have screw terminations. so depending what you've got depends how you connect it.

first of all find the pair coming in to the house. now any(all) blue with white wires should be connected to one leg, and any(all) white and blue wires should connected to the other leg.

if you only have one cable then there should only be one blue/white and one white/blue making this pretty simple.

if not blue/whites terminate together and so do white/blue..

the above is assuming the telephone sockets are still connected to the cable.

Reply to Phone wiring problem. in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock