Discuss Photocell doing what it wants... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

MartK

-
Reaction score
Morning all,

I've recently installed four Steinel Vario 3000's...
Steinel Nightmatic Photocell Switch 3000 - Black - https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/STNM3000B.html?source=adwords&ad_position=&ad_id=315107931576&placement=&kw=&network=u&matchtype=&ad_type=&product_id=STNM3000B&product_partition_id=304439246835&version=finalurl_v3&gclid=Cj0KCQjwn8_mBRCLARIsAKxi0GLIflyo7DLR2m2QMZMWvL9fRD43j8jl7lK8aeFbjV4nRp0iYOYNnQ8aAmEoEALw_wcB

...across two jobs. One job is for soffit lights. The other is for up/downs around a driveway.

Both customers wanted something that could be dimmed so i've used Vpro 100w max LED dimmer modules. No load is more than 70w.

I've had one customer reporting that the lights don't work at all.
The other customer is saying that the lights are permanently on. I'm convinced i've set them up just fine having returned to both jobs at dark to set the memory function. What's worse is that both customers say they worked fine for about a week after installation.

Steinel tech are concluding that the sensor may not be suitable for dimming but i wonder why they were fine for the first week?

Question being, has anybody else experienced this situation before? Can anybody recommend another brand of dimmer module or sensor that has worked without issue. The wiring seems so simple that i can't see where i'm going wrong with this. The rep is willing to come and take a look but i don't think he'll wait around til dusk!!

I'm taking a supply from a spare 6A breaker on the board to the sensor - Load then goes to the dimmer - Then to lights. Second job is a supply from the upstairs lighting circuit.

Thanks in advance.

Fitted loads of those .........but never on a dimmer! and have found them extremely reliable.

If the lights are permanently on then you need to check you have set them up correctly

If the photocell on its own is working fine with those lamps, and the dimmer on its own is working fine with the same lamps, then I would say it's got to be a problem with the dimmer being fed from the sensor. Does the sensor have relay contacts or is it an electronic (triac etc) switch?

Thanks Murdoch, the soffit lights are shining into the bedroom window but the customer insists on having no curtains!!!

Second customer wanted lots of lights but just very dim. Her drive is so big that it could be confused as a runway.

Have you not used a dimmer before because you think it's a bad idea?

Probably something.

If it's electronic, I bet the switching is done by a triac, an that will not like the chopped waveform from a dimmer.

I presume the dimmer is also electronic, being used with LEDs?

Second customer wanted lots of lights but just very dim. Her drive is so big that it could be confused as a runway.

Have you not used a dimmer before because you think it's a bad idea?

Re the LED - change them for lower wattage, say 2w

and no I wouldn't fit them on a dimmer - IMHO a photo cell is on or off

Thanks Rob,
Will a disturbed waveform cause the lights to go on and off?

Yes, Electronic dimmer with LEDs. 4w lamps.

Most likely, it'll cause the triac to flicker. An I bet theres some electronics monitoring this in the photocell that stops the output chattering. So they will go on and off, rather than flicker at 50hz

Depends on the photocell, the ones I've used just switch a relay. An so it's independent of the circuit. Just need to supply them with 230v

All good points thank you.

Are we allowed to recommend products in this forum? The sensor I've fitted seems to be good quality but if you rely in a better brand then I'd like to know!

What happened to a good old on/off switch at the patio door?!!!

Thanks guys

In the past I have found that Steinel are are as good as it gets . I have to say I have never fitted a set up that you have . It looks like compatibility problems with two in a row.

In the past I have found that Steinel are are as good as it gets . I have to say I have never fitted a set up that you have . It looks like compatibility problems with two in a row.
Agreed. Steinel are about the best, with a cost to reflect that.

If it absolutely must be dimmed, what about using the steinel nightmatic to switch another separate relay/contactor?

That way the only load on the steinel nightmatic is the coil of the relay.

Reply to Photocell doing what it wants... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock