Discuss Plastering directly over T&E in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

May I say I don't like cables being in the wall without "basic protection" yes there is a tick box on the schedule of items inspected on both an Electrical installation certificate and an electrical installation condition report to say that the " basic protection" has been met.

I think you may have been ticking that box without understanding BS7671's definition of basic protection!

BS7671 Definitions.

Basic protection= Protection against electric shock under fault-free conditions. So capping has nothing to do with this what so ever.

So basic protection is the cable insulation?

It doesn't even need to be double insulated, that means singles clipped to a wall, no capping and plastered is O.K.

Yes but it is for all insulation on the circuit form the cable insulation to enclosures to socket fronts etc. In laymans terms no live parts can be accessed anywhere on the circuit if there is no fault on it.

It doesn't even need to be double insulated, that means singles clipped to a wall, no capping and plastered is O.K.

capping is not considered as additional protection....its there purely to stop plasterers (rough gits) from cutting into our cables with their trowels...

Put capping in don't put capping in. All the pictures on google I have seen have been with capping/conduit. Don't wanna put it in... Then don't, I get a better sense of pride when it's there, separates the men from the boys

Put capping in don't put capping in. All the pictures on google I have seen have been with capping/conduit. Don't wanna put it in... Then don't, I get a better sense of pride when it's there, separates the men from the boys
well if the walls are to be dry-lined then PVC/metal channel isn`t really necessary is it....you look at the job in hand first to assess what needs doing....then go with that....its the same for most things isn`t it....

All I can reiterate is "Thank god for the electricians who used oval conduit 30 years ago". Saves me a world of pain when I start on a rewire :)

you can still get oval conduit of course......its just with costs being more at the forefront of peoples mind nowadays.......i mean look at the first thing out of their mouths...
`how much?`

you can still get oval conduit of course......its just with costs being more at the forefront of peoples mind nowadays.......i mean look at the first thing out of their mouths...
`how much?`

Sparks, I find that it's only when subbin out to builders you get the "how much?" exclamation.
Usually, when I do rewires for people, it's because they want ME to do the job and trust that I do is what I consider necessary. I sometimes give people a "budget" version which cuts back on some of the luxuries, but I always stress that I use MK/Crabtree gear because it is good quality, LineProducts MF gear because it complies with regs, and my own level of perfectionism, which definitely ends up taking more time.
If they want cheap, then I wish them luck.
Push professionalism, not price.

I do, of course, acknowledge that living in an area with a high number of elderly people who "want it done right, like the old days", makes the quality aspect much easier to stress.

I think you mean insulated and sheathed :)

412.2.4.1 states that along with basic protection, wiring systems must have adequate mechanical protection. This can be in the form of the sheath. Hope this makes sense.

I think you mean insulated and sheathed :)

412.2.4.1 states that along with basic protection, wiring systems must have adequate mechanical protection. This can be in the form of the sheath. Hope this makes sense.
correct...umpteen times i`v heard sheathing being refered to as insulation...it isnt.....its there to protect thi insulation underneath...

Reply to Plastering directly over T&E in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock