Discuss Plastering directly over T&E in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

yep i am jumping the gun. i always worry about future problems !!!

Being prepared is one thing but giving your attention to other areas of concern whilst carrying out electrical installation will catch you out. Electrics is all about working methodically so once you have proven continuity and IR THEN you can think about plaster. If you are going to cap cables then the testing will need to occur after this because it is possible to nip a cable in the process. If plastering direct then you will still need to use cable clips on the cable to secure them to the wall. If you do not do this then the cables will keep bouncing off the wall and probably end up being visible after you have plastered.

One thing I would add is, get that ****ing sparky in to help/advise you appropriately. Regardless of what you are paying him for his services he will be responsible for the entire installation of the circuit/s if he is signing it off!

Ted, if you are ready to plaster than I am presuming that all the cables are in? This would be an ideal time to get the first fix tested for continuity and an insulation resistance test carried out.

This is where wago connectors work a treat:thumbsup
Testing before 2nd fix eh? That's a new one. Total and utter waste of time IMO

So now we know who tedglen really is. Do you honestly think you should be helping sparkies out at 92 years old Phil?
Put your feet up man just like you've done since the end of the war:)

Murdoch, there is no need to be a cocky **** now is there ?

There is absolutely no need for such a response like that. Your sequence of posts has consistently suggested that you have an electrician on the job but I'd venture to suggest thats not true.

For the record I'm not being cocky. This is the electricians forum for professional electricians who pay sums to be registered, insured, have the relevent qualifications, experience and tools - which you seem intent on abusing. Its not the B&Q or Wickes forum.

I do not like you attitude. I have electrician on board but I was concerned when I read somewhere that plaster affects cable. I was trusting your opinions more than an one electrician who may or may not be a cowboy

There's another reason for capping, not electric but will help the plastering finish. When simply plastering over cable you can leave gaps, hairline gaps which can become cracks or weak points in the plastering.

doesnt apply to dot and dab obviously.

Testing before 2nd fix eh? That's a new one. Total and utter waste of time IMO

Really?

So you trust that once you've completed your first fix everything is spot on? How do you know that? Do you not make mistakes?

I ALWAYS test for continuity/IR on the circuits I have installed on completion of first fix so that I know 100% when I return any faults have been caused by kitchen fitters or additional works that have taken place since first fix completion.

The use of wago lever connectors make this an absolute doddle and for how long the test take I think it's worth it's weight in gold.

Inspection and testing should be performed before, during and after installation to ensure that the integrity of the circuit has not been compromised. If you're not doing it then it may well come back and bite you on the behind when the client refuses to pay for repair works required that may require ripping out cable that has since been tiled over, plastered or even had kitchen cabinets installed in front of runs.

Complete waste of time? My backside it is but hey... I'm just a Electrical Trainee so what do I know??? lol

In a domestic situation I class first fix as cables in, boxes sunk and fixed and capping. Second fix is accessories on, it's at this point that the testing regime kicks in for me. I appreciate your point but I think your method is a waste of time. Each to their own though, it's always interesting to get another's point of view

I have to admit,if I stripped a cable to test it,I would be too tempted to shove the front on,the second fix would be done before the plasterer had got his trowel out

Can't fault anyone doing things to the book,it just isn't me

By the way Ted,whats with insulting Murdoch,a well respected member ?

Testing after first fix is pointless to an extent, when cables are installed you should be confident that all is good. Its after first fix and before second fix that things go wrong, plasterers damage cables, etc etc. So agree with trev above

Testing after first fix is pointless to an extent, when cables are installed you should be confident that all is good

To an extent I totally agree because results I have recorded have always been satisfactory. However, anyone can be confident that the work they complete is all good but having test results confirm this secures that confidence and provides you with proof should any damage occur at a later date.

I guess it depends at what point second fix is completed? The second fixes I have done have always been completed after plastering, tiling and kitchen units have been fixed and as mentioned this is where the damage can be caused :thumbsup

Reply to Plastering directly over T&E in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock