Discuss Positioning of new consumer units. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

This country has just gone mad with its regulations. If the consumer unit trips, it generally has a reason to do so.
The disabled person, and by the way, I am, Understand that it can kill you and will take precautions.

My 4 year old, can now reach a new reg 1.2m consumer unit, pull out a blanking plate and have a good old poke around with grandmas knitting needle.
At what age will she understand electricity.

Just having my 2 pennies worth

maybe the consumer units should come with a lockable cover,but I suppose that wouldn't prevent your little darling sticking her knitting
needles into a soctet outlet

Recently visited a friend in a new disabled person's flat, and the CU was at ceiling level. We all know that outlets, switches, etc must be position between 450mm to 1200mm from finished floor level. Where are people putting consumer units, and why?

I have started to install CU within the spacings, but have got into a debate with a plumber about the position of a central heating room stat. From what we can see, the recommended height is above the allowed height for disabled.

A wheelchair user has also asked if there is anyway to lower his smoke alarms!!!

Ask the wheelchair user to ask the smoke if they have a fire to be nice enough to not go up to the ceiling but stay down low so as it can set off smoke alarms at a lower height:eek:

Does the wheelchair user not realise that the reason why they are on the ceiling and not lower down or do they think that because they are disabled that a fire will take into account they are disabled when the happens to be one? I think not.

Last edited:
Sparkymaz. It would be interesting to find that article on using common sense. But at the same time, you would never know who was buying the new house. Disabled person or family with 2 kids.

Legislation that has been rushed through and not thought about, just to bring us in line with europe.

Dave

well i will be scanning through it again in the next week or so so will post exact wording when i can. I did think at the time it was quite contradictory. As far as not knowing who was buying the house? i would go for safety over convenience every time. I know a disables person may be left in the dark, but if an rcd does trip on an dual rcd board, then there should still be some sockets on where the lights arent. just plug in a lamp lol!!!!!!!

brooms and smoke alarms!! Aico have a new product I have had installed in a number of locations,for those that dont have brooms,aged, disabled etc
Ei 152 remote test & hush switch, fitted at normal switch level...aico.co.uk

if you are replacing a equipment ie con unit then it may be fitted in existing location new builds must comply with updated regs, i replaced a cu with a new 17th dual rcd type the client was aged and couldnt reach to test rcd or reset so at their request i returned and lowered it to 1200mm as new regs, this was an extra tho, cos we all know what fun moving cu' s are,as to smoke alarms ...fit the wireless type then they can be controlled .tested,reset by a remote controller..only answer really:cool:

The building regs state these heights (450-1200) are to be used for electrical accessories. I have just had my elecsa part p assessment(which i passed) and he agreed that 'accessories' mean sockets,, switches etc. not the consumer unit itself. Its complete madness to be compulsary to put a cu at these heights. I will never do unless I have been asked to do so, or the cu is in a cupboard or whatever.

As stated in previous replies, safety over convenience every time

it is unsafe if old people or disableds are plunged into darkness possibly with no heating and they cant reach the cu to reset it/turn off the offending circuit, kids will be kids tho, i had this arguement thrown at me when i fiitted a smoke on a low ceiling. "my kids can reach that". ....yeh, also light fittings, socket outlets,electric cookers,deep fat fryers, the list is endless, all knitting needles in the 18th ed are to have max 2mm exposed and be fully insulated and fused,:D

it is unsafe if old people or disableds are plunged into darkness possibly with no heating and they cant reach the cu to reset it/turn off the offending circuit, kids will be kids tho, i had this arguement thrown at me when i fiitted a smoke on a low ceiling. "my kids can reach that". ....yeh, also light fittings, socket outlets,electric cookers,deep fat fryers, the list is endless, all knitting needles in the 18th ed are to have max 2mm exposed and be fully insulated and fused

LOL great idea that with the knitting needles.
I seen a remote reset for rcds the other day in that gewiss catelogue.

The building regs state these heights (450-1200) are to be used for electrical accessories. I have just had my elecsa part p assessment(which i passed) and he agreed that 'accessories' mean sockets,, switches etc. not the consumer unit itself.

Thats interesting because on my Elecsa assessment, i was asked where the CU was going on a new build at the time.

He stated that the height should be inline with new build regs and be no more than 1200 above ffl.

If you read the regs, it appears that you only need to site units at the given heights ON A NEW BUILD....not an addition to or an alteration to an existing build.....

Reply to Positioning of new consumer units. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock