Discuss Practical side of level 2 electrical installation in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Matter

DIY
Reaction score
Hi can anyone who has done the level 2 in electrical installation advise me on what practical work is undertaken on it? Does it go as far as wiring up fuse boards?

"Bay on a Day"

Practical side of level 2 electrical installation {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net
Practical side of level 2 electrical installation ©+CITY+&+GUILDS - EletriciansForums.net

There is a student pack to go with this that goes through everything, you'll be looking
  • Wiring in singles
  • Terminating SWA
  • Cable clipping
  • Terminating a 60309 socket
  • Bending plastic conduit
  • fabricating 90° bends in tray and trunking

Thanks so did the course again you a good deal of electrical knowledge? I was originally put off by the health and safety section and communication with others in the building trade. As I have already done this with my plumbing nvq. Thanks

Thanks so did the course again you a good deal of electrical knowledge? I was originally put off by the health and safety section and communication with others in the building trade. As I have already done this with my plumbing nvq. Thanks
Depending on your learning establishment there may be an element of RPL but I seem to recall it's not generally mapped over, instead I would recommend speaking with your tutor; I know with mine because I was very much into the H&S side of it on L2 and regs on L3 I could pretty much 'skip' those lessons but in return I'd get random testing and would have to get 90% to show I wasn't just bunking off but instead using as "study time", realistically more times than not I was in the library trawling through old standards, familiarisibg myself with how broad our industry is and where I could fit in etc.

I haven't done the exact same course, I did its equivalent a few years ago which is similar but not identical.

The level 2 and 3 courses teach you primarily the theory and regulations (along with some H&S, supporting maths etc) side of the trade.

There is very little practical training other than the basics, how to terminate types of cable, simple trunking bends, conduit. The main bulk of practical training is done through time spent on-site with experienced electricians.

In the classroom you simply cannot replicate the real-world and all tbe challenges it presents you with.

"Bay on a Day"

Practical side of level 2 electrical installation {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net
View attachment 101344

There is a student pack to go with this that goes through everything, you'll be looking
  • Wiring in singles
  • Terminating SWA
  • Cable clipping
  • Terminating a 60309 socket
  • Bending plastic conduit
  • fabricating 90° bends in tray and trunking
If people that is all there is to electrical installation work then they nee to take anotherlook at the reality

If people that is all there is to electrical installation work then they nee to take anotherlook at the reality
I'm right there with you on that. I do think colleges should do more on the challenges you'll likely face, like the appreticeship you'd see real world examples and "try" the installation techniques; chasing, making good, digging out, fishing, creating new cable routes and not just doing everything on a 600x600mm board

Reply to Practical side of level 2 electrical installation in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock