• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss previous old profession - jobs? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
other than being an electrician, (or planning) what other jobs have you done, did ya like it and why'd you quit, or want to quit.

I started in the cattering business, as a busser (table wiper) whilst at college, then pot washer > then waiter > then a cook ( i know back and forth ) > then I chefed in other places > supervisor > more or less head chef > Sparky > LOL

I was a Corporate Leasing consultant for years. Mega bucks, Audi A6 3.2 FSi, big expense account. Hated wearing pin striped suits though so fancied a change!

I was a Corporate Leasing consultant for years. Mega bucks, Audi A6 3.2 FSi, big expense account. Hated wearing pin striped suits though so fancied a change!

And you jacked that in to knock holes in council house walls:eek:

hey, whatever makes you happy

i gave up management to go back on the tools

three days of fixing 1MW gennys in the driving rain and going home covered in oil and diesel soon sorted that one out!!!!:D:D

Upholsterer, glazer, ground worker, tele-sales, labourer, shop assistant, shop manager, dive instructor, commercial diver, electricians mate.

It does these days, the things are so small.
I used to install the old handbag sized (first generation) mobiles, onto the first handportables (size of a house brick...think only fools & horses), right upto the latest bluetooth kits.

First gen, weren't they the ones where you used to have to stand under a "Booster Signal" that had a rabbit head motif on it? Like the playboy bunny. Blue on a white background.

No they came out long after the first true Tacs cellular phones produced by Racal the VT1 was the vehicle based unit and the VT-h1 was the handportable (played the death march when battery was low) I seem to recall.

That rabbit network was supposed to operate in city/town centres only, never did take off & was subsiquently purchased by a company that then released the Dolphin network now known as tetra or tetrapol (the old bill use it)

TV engineer,moved into computers in the early 80's,moved up the ranks from the bench became the account manager for laptop repairs at European level handling a £1.5M account but too much pressure and living out of suitcases. Going to central Europe and back in one day for a meeting starts to get tiring when you're expected back in the office at 8am the next day. So I went back to training and got a proper job.

Pretty much been an electrician (in one form or another) since i have worked

most interesting job was recovering crashed aircraft when they flew into mountains, spent six years on that. Lots of travel, lots of hotels, lots of beer:D

Pretty much been an electrician (in one form or another) since i have worked

most interesting job was recovering crashed aircraft when they flew into mountains, spent six years on that. Lots of travel, lots of hotels, lots of beer:D

lots of blood :eek::eek::eek:

Reply to previous old profession - jobs? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back