Discuss pricing tips in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

GPack

-
Reaction score
Can anyone give me any tips on pricing a new build?

All points are marked on the archiects drawing.

I can count up the back boxes, sockets, pendants etc

I can also measure the cable required from the plans

When you price per point I take it you include the cost of the fittings. Do you also take the cost of the cable into the point?

Would really appreciate your experience on this one.

Well your profile is lacking information as to what you are, Trainee, Qualified Electrician or what. More information would be helpful.

If you are still in training, may I suggest you contact the one of the Members of staff for access to the Trainee section, you will get all the help you require as part of your training.

On the other hand if you are a fully qualified Electrician, pricing a job only comes from experience, just asking for information without quantifying your experience will only get you negative answers, sorry for being so blunt, but as a Mentor, I can only understand the answers you have so far.

Tell us what your experiences are and I'm sure someone will be able to help.

To be fair I hadn't. Although I don't see it makes a great deal of difference.

It would have been quicker to answer the question. I can't imagine it's rocket science. Sorry to be blunt :)

To be fair I hadn't. Although I don't see it makes a great deal of difference.

It would have been quicker to answer the question. I can't imagine it's rocket science. Sorry to be blunt :)

It would if you were a Trainee, responses may have been a bit more helpful.

Price per point will vary immensely I think is the point trying to be made here. What works for you may not suit someone else. The factors that affect this are usually job and installer specific so only you can know what will work and what will not.
Try pricing the job your usual way then divide your price by the number of points is all I can suggest without being presumptuous or misleading.

It will vary immensely. It's just the process I'm interested in. I would expect this to be reasonably standard. Forums are useful for knowledge exchange. I had hoped I could develop my understanding of his process in a friendly and helpful environment. Obviously if people want to keep that knowledge to themselves they have every right to do that. No problem. Knowledge is power. I hadn't expected it here though. ;)

It will vary immensely. It's just the process I'm interested in. I would expect this to be reasonably standard. Forums are useful for knowledge exchange. I had hoped I could develop my understanding of his process in a friendly and helpful environment. Obviously if people want to keep that knowledge to themselves they have every right to do that. No problem. Knowledge is power. I hadn't expected it here though. ;)

Another one who doesn't realise that the forum is all about GIVE and take.

You need to get the spec off the builder/ architect, and is there are elements about the spec, don't guess, ask and do so in writing.

If you are coming up with a "ball park price" - then do so and make sure you specify what you are basing your assumptions on.

Also, location matters - as you haven't declared yours I can say more than only you know your area and your competition.....

As a quick estimate price per point is going to put you in the right area - i would then state its subject to revision and actual site survey before committing.

I give content. I also give thanks when people take the time help. I give to people all day, all of the time. One day I will give answers to people like me on forums like this.
I wasn't asking for site specific information. Just assistance with a process.
Dansk has the right idea. No judging, no critique. Just positive help based on the information requested and available.
Again,no problem, it happens.

consider how long will each point will take.
is it at a comfortable working position or are you working off steps or in a restricted position.
the type of structure you are installing the point into. masonry /lath & plaster/plasterboard etc.
ease of cable run. are you using existing runs or starting from scratch
add cost of cable,accessorys,cable clips,grommets etc
work out average cost per point. x number of points. add ??% for the unforeseen

When costing a job up i usually do it both ways. Price per point and then do it again by using the materials plus mark up and labor. Occasionally both match up which means I know i'm spot on but otherwise I'll know whether I am there or there about. A builder who I do work for always asks for price per point and it sometimes comes in more expensive, but that's his fault and my gain unfortunately.

Reply to pricing tips in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock