Discuss Problem with crabtree starbreaker RCCB? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

bleward

Hello fellow sparkys new to this site and in the need of a bit of advice. I installed a Crabtree starbreaker split board about 6 months ago and once finished and tested it worked with no problems what so ever (well apart form the sockets in the kitchen tripping thanks to an MFI fitted kitchen the MFI spark had reversed the Live & Neutrals on the sockets) anway I recently had a phone call from the customer saying the RCCB was tripping on every socket in the house. On inspection this proved to be the case, it tripped on the 2 ring mains and also the single socket i installed at the fuse board.

It tripped as soon as any load was put on the circuit ( i was using an 800w drill as it was all i had at hand at the time). Now i re-checked all my connections at the fuseboard looking for the usual crossed or loose neutrals but everything seemed fine by me. I then proceeded to get another RCCB from the whole saler to confirm that it was not a faulty RCCB and low and behold that tripped as well. The customer is away for a week on holiday and i am left scratching my head. Could it be a problem with there incoming supply? The fact that it has worked for about 6 months and now this is whats baffeling me

I will add that when i take the RCCB out of the board and re-jig the m.c.b's to allow power on to the essential itmes such as fridges/ freezers etc the mcbs do not trip.

The RCCB is this one in question

Google Image Result for http://www.allaboutelectrics.co.uk/thumbPadded.php?file=4839&width=120&height=100

So anyone give me a skiffy? cheers in advance

Bleward

Sounds like a neutral to earth fault maybe? Could be a nicked conductor which has finally exposed itself properly over the months. You got a problem with one of the 'ring final circuits'.

i would agree with cirrus i have had 2 similar problems in the past 1 of which was the neutral in a ring circuit touching a metal box because the grommet had dislodged, the other a nail through cable shorting neutral and earth. split the ring into sections to find the fault.

post your findings!

After getting a p.m about this i thought i would post my findings!!! The outside garage had some sockets in it that i found when testing the ring main in the livingroom, on inspection the whole garage was a death trap done by a jack of all trades master of none and once removed the fault cleared and happy days

Yes i sure am , when the board was first installed i did not know about the garge having a "supply" as it was spurred off the ring main and the spur was switched off, for some unknown reason the guy who owned the property turned the damn thing on and didnt think to tell me!!!

Reply to Problem with crabtree starbreaker RCCB? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock