Discuss PSCC on 460V Split Phase Supply in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I can't recall having a tester that didn't, all the way back to my first MFT (Megger MF200? or did I make that number up? square grey box that did 4-wire Ra tests too, but before non-trip RCD tests).

Unless I'm misunderstanding you. They don't measure the PFCC, just calculate it from loop impedance, so if the unit will test Zp-p then that counts too.

The sub stations from center point would show 415 , from their to a farm or a commercal buildings and from thier to motors so how could the building you at testing on come up 460v ,you better ring the DNO to clarify what voltage you have got .

That's for a three phase supply, this is not a three phase supply, this is a split phase supply which has 460V between the lines and 230V to neutral from each line.

But 690V gear is fine, and in the past most industrial gear was rated at 500V which was OK too.

We have split phase on the farm we are on it was originally for the dairy and feed mill, the dairy is long gone but the feed mill gets used regularly for the calf's and winter feed mix.
I have always done the same as spin on testing, took the highest reading off both phases to neutral or earth and added them together!
Not entirely sure if that was the correct method but here to learn as well as comment!
Sy

Do they make testers that can measure 3 phase PSCC now?
Both my MFT1741 and my much older MFT1553 are capable of directly measuring between phases.

It's generally only the lower-end units now which are incapable of connection between phases.

If your tester was able to give you readings for the loop impedance line-line, then surely you can just divide 460 by that impedance to get the PSCC. AFAIK the tester measures the impedance, decides whether the voltage it's connected to is within spec for 230 or 400V and calculates the PSCC based on that nominal voltage. Presumably when presented with 460V it doesn't recognise what the intended supply voltage is, so won't calculate for you.

I was thinking something along this line just wasn't sure on it, thanks for clarifying :)

So PSCC= 460/whatever that impedance value was, I don't think I wrote it down :rolleyes:

Interesting to see how many sparks dont know about split phase done 2 new installs with it last year in devon
Same, there seems to be loads in Devon!

Do they make testers that can measure 3 phase PSCC now?
I’ve always just measured each phase to earth/neutral and added the two highest values together.
Most modern testers will, mine will do all tests on supplies between 55V and 500V AC.

I'm in Devon, have a split phase supply myself, as have several of my customers. Very common around here, but when I've had occasion to discuss motors, control gear, etc., with reps. and suppliers, they generally didn't know what I was on about.
Measure each phase separately to neutral is what I've always done.

Reply to PSCC on 460V Split Phase Supply in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net