Discuss PSCC on 460V Split Phase Supply in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all.

Been doing a bit of work on a pub out in the sticks with a 460V split phase Supply. When tried to test phase - phase PSCC my tester didn't play along. I was going to use the double p - n rule of thumb but then I got thinking, does this still apply to a 460v supply?

It's a TNCS single phase 3 wire supply.

My test kit is good for 3 phase, has phase rotation built in. Its a 3 lead tester and tests loop impedance and pfc in one go but it only gave me the impedance readings on p - p.

I guess it is not compatible with 460V :confused:

Its a pretty unusual supply system but they use to use it where they had no 3 phase HV. Winding are tapped at 180 not 120 so 2 phases at 460v.
Split_phase2.png

The sub stations from center point would show 415 , from their to a farm or a commercal buildings and from thier to motors so how could the building you at testing on come up 460v ,you better ring the DNO to clarify what voltage you have got .

Last edited:
Where do you get 415V from? 415 is the old 3 phase standard, this is not 3 phase.

Google 'single phase 3 wire' if you really don't believe me. The phase - phase voltage is 460v, there is nothing wrong with this and while it is unusual it is perfectly acceptable.

I'm just wondering on how to calculate the PSCC, the supply arrangement is a non issue.

If your tester was able to give you readings for the loop impedance line-line, then surely you can just divide 460 by that impedance to get the PSCC. AFAIK the tester measures the impedance, decides whether the voltage it's connected to is within spec for 230 or 400V and calculates the PSCC based on that nominal voltage. Presumably when presented with 460V it doesn't recognise what the intended supply voltage is, so won't calculate for you.

Most testers will have a voltage tolerance and I suspect 460v was above it so it defaulted to a safe mode to prevent damage.

If your tester was able to give you readings for the loop impedance line-line, then surely you can just divide 460 by that impedance to get the PSCC. AFAIK the tester measures the impedance, decides whether the voltage it's connected to is within spec for 230 or 400V and calculates the PSCC based on that nominal voltage. Presumably when presented with 460V it doesn't recognise what the intended supply voltage is, so won't calculate for you.
What tester are you using?

I suspect 460v was above it so it defaulted to a safe mode to prevent damage.

The OP mentions it gave a reading for impedance between the lines, so it was apparently OK with measuring at 460V. But as I expect with all MFT's, it doesn't 'know' that this was a valid nominal voltage so it couldn't calculate the PSCC from the impedance as it would at 400V. The OP simply has to calculate it himself.

Reply to PSCC on 460V Split Phase Supply in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net