Discuss QUALIFIED SPARK ON £10:50ph In WEST WALES!!!! in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Jay 1987

-
Trainee
Reaction score
Hello everybody

So I met a guy last night who has just recently completed his nvq3. Fast forward we started speaking about the type of work he likes, whether it be domestic, commercial etc and why?
We then moved onto the more interesting topic of wages !!!! To My surprise he revealed that he had done work last week, for a whopping £10;50 last week! My face dropped!!!

Is this normal ?

I mean he is in West Wales near Newcastle Emlyn and I know there are nothing but farms and fields out there! But i never expected the price he stated, those wages hurt my pockets and it never went into my bank account!

Surely this isn’t normal !

I mean, I get when your training the price of wages fluctuates however I thought once qualified there is a jib industry standard for electrical pay rates! Which is no where near £10:50?

Someone shed some light .....

No that’s criminal,get that @ Tesco,loading shelves.
Saying that after 6 years waiting,I’ve had a pay rise of 50p,you can’t buy a pkt of crisps for that.
Not happy.

That is the problem with JIB rates. With the exception of London they are the same nationally.

£10.50 cards in West Wales seems about right for someone freshly qualified.

Jib for country rate install spark is just above 15 quid an hour. More inside the M25(London rate)

10.50 for a qualified spark is an insult. I would not work for that ever.

Jib for country rate install spark is just above 15 quid an hour. More inside the M25(London rate)

10.50 for a qualified spark is an insult. I would not work for that ever.

I know exactly how much it is an hour. I stand by my statement. £15 an hour for someone in the trade 20 years is poor when compared to someone freshly qualified.

Qualifications are one thing, Being able to do the job well is another. At the end of the day if you know what the normal rates are you wouldn’t accept £10.50 if you have all of the above.

Qualifications are one thing, Being able to do the job well is another. At the end of the day if you know what the normal rates are you wouldn’t accept £10.50 if you have all of the above.
Then again, what sort of place is West Wales, personally I have no idea.

I've seen boys in Derry get paid minimum wage if they were working in Newry they would be getting £35,000+, if in Dublin €50,000+

I've seen boys in Derry get paid minimum wage if they were working in Newry they would be getting £35,000+, if in Dublin €50,000+
There is a self employed spark round here that charges a tenner an hour(runs his own "business"). Also another that if slack will go in at similar rates:eek:

I was in and around a tenner an hour, on the cards, nearly 20 years ago as an apprentice:(

I'm not going to get into whether 10.50 is good or bad bit surely if he's on the books it's not just 10.50 is it, the Guy employing him as other costs:
Company van + all associated costs
Holiday pay
Sick pay
Nest pension
Workwear
Tools
Tester + yearly calibration
Ipaf course if required
Employers liability
To name just a few.
It is never just about the hourly rate, sometimes the lad receiving that 10.50 forgets what else his boss as had to pay on top of that to keep him in a job.

He's only out of his time

Is he any good, what is he worth?

Some guys are top gun at third year of their apprenticeship, some could take seven years before they're any good.
Exactly.....what is he worth

And some are never any good no matter how long they are doing it. Some of the sparks where I work aren't even worth £10.50 an hour, and I'm not joking!!

Derry has always been minimum wage country as well as an unemployment blackspot.

Reply to QUALIFIED SPARK ON £10:50ph In WEST WALES!!!! in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock