Discuss Rcbo in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

Seank

Have just fitted 4 new RCBO'S RCD on all fried on first test, Am sure have fitted correctly am a newly qualified electrician is it me or faulty kit please help.

Last edited by a moderator:
What happened? Please describe your method.
If it/they are fried after a 1/2 test then they should be replaced free of charge so not too much to worry about

Have just fitted 4 new RCBO'S RCD on all fried on first test, Am sure have fitted correctly am a newly qualified electrician is it me or faulty kit please help.

As above.
What "first test", exactly?
And how have they failed? ie what don't they do now that they should do if working properly?

See the first line of my first post mate.
Describe what happened step by step and then we may be able to advise you

What test(s) have you done with them connected? Insulation resistance testing might well have "fried" them.

I remember an incident like this: press the trip button, reset the RCBO only half way so that the load kicked in and the it made a bang and thenRCBO was ****ed. That was an RS own brand. I remember we were betting that a RCBO would never fail, but it did.

Should still survive up to 6KV Icn (in theory). Perhaps he's invented some devious new device for us all to use. A RCBO with overvoltage protection as well ;)

Edit: Not funny then :(

Last edited:
Bit strange that all four failed with the test. Was it the insulation test, perhaps?
If you push it really, you can wreck anythingmif you just try hardmenough. But surely, an RCBO should survive the standard test procedures, unless it is a fake China import.

Bit strange that all four failed with the test. Was it the insulation test, perhaps?
If you push it really, you can wreck anythingmif you just try hardmenough. But surely, an RCBO should survive the standard test procedures, unless it is a fake China import.

There are quite specific instructions supplied with RCBO's regarding testing. IR testing them is not recommended :)

Could you be a little more descriptive of 'fried'? Or perhaps they've been sautéed...

Reply to Rcbo in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock