Domestic Rcbo

Discuss Rcbo in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Seank

Have just fitted 4 new RCBO'S RCD on all fried on first test, Am sure have fitted correctly am a newly qualified electrician is it me or faulty kit please help.

Last edited by a moderator:

HandySparks

Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
Have just fitted 4 new RCBO'S RCD on all fried on first test, Am sure have fitted correctly am a newly qualified electrician is it me or faulty kit please help.
As above.
What "first test", exactly?
And how have they failed? ie what don't they do now that they should do if working properly?

SJD

Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
What test(s) have you done with them connected? Insulation resistance testing might well have "fried" them.

Guitarist

Regular EF Member
Maybe his first test was 1kv across them!
Genuine post or something to get us talking abut RCBO's? :)

stef

Regular EF Member
I remember an incident like this: press the trip button, reset the RCBO only half way so that the load kicked in and the it made a bang and thenRCBO was ****ed. That was an RS own brand. I remember we were betting that a RCBO would never fail, but it did.

topquark

Electricians Arms Member
Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
Should still survive up to 6KV Icn (in theory). Perhaps he's invented some devious new device for us all to use. A RCBO with overvoltage protection as well ;)

Edit: Not funny then :(

Last edited:

stef

Regular EF Member
Bit strange that all four failed with the test. Was it the insulation test, perhaps?
If you push it really, you can wreck anythingmif you just try hardmenough. But surely, an RCBO should survive the standard test procedures, unless it is a fake China import.

Guitarist

Regular EF Member
Bit strange that all four failed with the test. Was it the insulation test, perhaps?
If you push it really, you can wreck anythingmif you just try hardmenough. But surely, an RCBO should survive the standard test procedures, unless it is a fake China import.
There are quite specific instructions supplied with RCBO's regarding testing. IR testing them is not recommended :)

Strima

Electrician's Arms
Could you be a little more descriptive of 'fried'? Or perhaps they've been sautéed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Permanent unswitched live colour?

• Brown

Votes: 46 65.7%
  • Black

Votes: 24 34.3%

Electrician Talk

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.