Discuss rcd help in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

bobbuild

hi, could anyone please advise me if:
i can take a feed from a spare mcb in fuse box to an rcd mounted next to it, or must i take the feed from meter tails?

i need to add some sockets to a kitchen and there is no rcd protection,
so i need to rcd the ring and not sure on how i can achieve this...

Last edited by a moderator:
i can take a feed from a spare mcb in fuse box to an rcd mounted next to it, or must i take the feed from meter tails?

remove the mcb and replace with a rcbo. neater job.

If there's room for an MCB in the dis board why not just fit an RCBO to cover the new circuit instead??

Job done.
dammmm you beat me to it lenny

ah yes but is it ok to run a cable from mcb to rcd or must rcd be at origin (cant get rcbo for this old board)
and if so how would i add this rcd into ring ie:
30a breaker with 6mm to 40a/30ma rcd and ring run out from this?

A better job may be to get hold of a "garage consumer unit" (screwfix)that has a 40A 30mA RCD and usually 16 and 6A MCB's. Take out the 16 and 6 A MCB's, fit a 20 or 32A MCB depending if you are ringing or radialing and feed this board off of the old one.

This way you get better overcurrent protection aswell as fault protection

Cheers.

ah great so just to clarify my point if you dont mind,

it is ok to take a cable from a existing mcb and feed into an rcd as i was not sure if it would need to enter the rcd first

Providing everything is up to standard i.e earthing & bonding and you wont be overloading the main fuse by adding another circuit to the installation then it should be fine.

What I would say though depending on if you go for ring or radial is rather than 6mm or 10mm T+E say, use tails and same size earth that way all conductors are big enough to cope with whatever.

Cheers.

In an ideal world yes. but if the customer's not willing to pay for the upgrade possible faults on existing circuits that would need rectifiying.:( It's never easy

nothing wrong with your origional idea-6mm from your mcb/fuse,to 30maRCD,ring out. Cheapest way. no reason your rcd has to come before fuse.

yeah spot on if cust not up for payment
so what is rules for using stand alone rcd, i can design and calculate circuit but not sure how this incorpoated on testing

yeah spot on cust not up for payment
so what is rules for using rcd, i can design and calculate circuit for cable sizes and mcb, even do all necc testing but unsure how to incorporate rcd into circuits, except from fusebox
not sure what you mean there,I think you are talking about how to fill in your eic/minor works cert? If your RCD is adjacent to board,you would not have to include the 6mm as details of a submain or ought.You would I'd imagine have to include a note that the rest of the installation does not comply with 17thedd.

ah ok thanks very much for help but he wants a 6mm from 30a breaker isnt the cable a little on big side?

Just a quick point, can the current installation take the extra loading you are planning?

You have said that you are adding extra sockets is this an additional ring final circuit?

Reply to rcd help in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock