Discuss Rcd not tripping and ramp test more than 30ma in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Neil01

-
Reaction score
Hi I was doing a EICR today and went to do an RCD test will not trip when I set it to Auto come out more than 300Ms at 1 times. Did a ramp test came out 33MA what would I class this on the report any ideas would be grateful

thank neil

Were you testing the RCD directly on its terminals or at an outlet?

Hi I was doing a EICR today and went to do an RCD test will not trip when I set it to Auto come out more than 300Ms at 1 times. Did a ramp test came out 33MA what would I class this on the report any ideas would be grateful

thank neil

That would depend on what the RCD is protecting, whether it is used for additional or fault protection, the mA rating of the RCD, and all other factors that may be relevant to the situation observed during the inspection.

thank neil

33MA Blimey

It's a Hager board RCD circuits are sockets up and down and shower. TNCS earthing tested at a socket there is nothing on as House is empty but MCBs where all on

Faulty RCD is quite possible, but if you are just carrying out an EICR does it matter? iF it did not trip in time then it has failed the test, so you code it accordingly, whether it fails to trip through being faulty or through the effect of another fault it will be recorded the same on the report won't it?
You record an observation that the RCD fails to trip within the required time and code accordingly. It's up to the person who does the remedial works to investigate it.

I'm only doing The EICR but was unsure if what code I'd give it C3 or F1, iv thought putting 12months on cert as well

F1???
Coding is a pretty simple process, if it is immediately dangerous (danger present in normal working conditions) then C1, if it is potentially dangerous (usually something which becomes dangerous under fault conditions) then C2 or if an improvement is recommended which could improve safety then C3.

So a protective device which does not work is not an immediate danger when the installation is working normally, but it is dangerous if a fault develops.

What do you mean by putting 12months on the cert?

A F1 for further investigation myself I was going to put a C3 and state RCD does not operate within the trip times and place no more than 12 months till next test property is in the middle of house sale thanks

A F1 for further investigation myself I was going to put a C3 and state RCD does not operate within the trip times and place no more than 12 months till next test property is in the middle of house sale thanks

I've never come across an F1 code before! I've seen people write FI for further investigation sometimes, is that what you mean? As far as this fault goes it is potentially dangerous and requires some investigation, so you code it according to the worst part of that situation which is a C2.
It is not a C3, it is quite clearly something which requires fixing, not just a recommendation for something which could be done to improve safety.
It is different to a situation where no RCD is fitted and you are recommending that one be installed to improve safety.

12months is a ridiculous retest time for a domestic installation, the recommended test interval is 10years for domestic but can be less if you feel that it is required.
The retest period is conditional on all C1 and C2 observations being rectified.

The fact that the house is being sold is irrelevant to the EICR other than maybe writing it down in the box titled reason for carrying out the EICR.

Il put it down as C2 I am going back to test at the RCD itself with loads disconnected and see what happens, iv megger the all circuits and no issues on low readings. When I tested it at socket 1 times came up 300ms so that's why I done Ramp test. I suspected it was a faulty RCD. Thanks for your help guys

Reply to Rcd not tripping and ramp test more than 30ma in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net