Discuss RCD on cooker circuit ?? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just wanted to hear your views on this one, as im in the process of re-wiring my kitchen.
I have completed my City and Guilds in electrical installation parts 1+2, and my tutor who had 30 years experience in the trade, said you should not put the cooker circuit on an Rcd because it causes nuisance tripping due to earth leakage.
However other bits of info i have read over the months have said otherwise, and that you should always have it on an Rcd.
I will be interested to hear your opinions on this one.

Thx.

If the cooker point has a socket outlet i always but it on a RCD, However if you are pulling in a new circuit for the cooker it should be done to 17th which really means it should be RCD protected anyway

your tutor is right it can cause nuisance tripping but as mentioned, under the 17Th basically everything has to be on an RCD unless the cables are enclosed in earthed conduit / capping

What your tutor may of meant was not to put the cooker on a bank of mcb's protected by a RCD but put it on a non RCD protected way with a RCBO.

Reading that, i have confused myself:eek:

your tutor is right it can cause nuisance tripping but as mentioned, under the 17Th basically everything has to be on an RCD unless the cables are enclosed in earthed conduit / capping

Not necessarily, provision exists for dispensing with RCDs in specific circumstances. eg 314.1 (iv) designated/marked circuits etc but if the cooker point has a socket then no matter whether it's suitably marked there is nothing stopping Joe Public running an extension lead through the kitchen window to the cooker socket therefore the requirement for additional protection (reg 415.1) has to take priority.
If diagnosing a cooker that's tripping an RCD it's an idea to get an idea of the appliance's PEAK leakage current in its cold condition as it will be at switch on from cold when the cct. resistances are at their lowest so will allow the maximum leakage currents to flow. As it heats up they will lessen. If there's no fault with the wiring and the tripping is confirmed as excess leakage from the appliance you swap the skt. equipped cooker control for a simple DP switch and transfer to non-RCD protected side.

Reply to RCD on cooker circuit ?? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock