• Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net. We hope you find the information you are looking for. But if you don't manage to, please feel free to Register and ask a question yourself. You can delete your account at any time should you quickly find the answers to what you need.

Discuss RCD protection for cables above a plasterboard ceiling in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Are there an reg for cables being above a plasterboard ceiling?

Pricing a job to move a kitchen to the other end of the house. I thought about running a 16mm T&E to a submain board instead of running 4/5 circuits back.

The old kitchen ceiling ceiling is coming down and the rest would be ran in trunking to the new kitchen. So a mixture of above a ceiling/clipped direct/in trunking

I cant see a reg other than buried in a wall that would apply..... it wont pass through any bathrooms either

T

In near every case a cable run through the fabric of the house will be buried less than 50mm at some point in the run. (Unless fully surface wiring job)
But if 100% isn’t buried less than 50mm I don’t see the need for rcd protection.
But probably would anyway imo

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
In near every case a cable run through the fabric of the house will be buried less than 50mm at some point in the run. (Unless fully surface wiring job)
But if 100% isn’t buried less than 50mm I don’t see the need for rcd protection.
But probably would anyway imo
Its true. But i dont want all 5/6 circuits at the new kitchen to be on one RCD and i cant wire it in swa :(

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
And the way i read reg 522.6.202, 522.6.204. Its 50mm " in a wall "

I would say as long as the cable is 50mm above the ceiling and 50mm below the floor above then no issue you need to look at the building regs for where you drill the holes in the beams.

ImpededLoop

-
Arms Access
It's 522.6.201 and 522.6.204 that give the answer.

As I read it, it's either 50mm in, or an earthed metallic covering that is required.

davesparks

-
Arms Access
As my OP says. No

Above a plasterboard ceiling, clipped direct & in trunking on a wall
16mm implies this is quite a big, high end kitchen with a lot of big appliances, you don't find many of them in the kind of house where surface trunking is normally acceptable.

Sounds like your 16mm is going to be a distribution circuit and not buried in a wall. You can always protect your final circuits with an RCD or RCBOs so if it's just above a ceiling you should get away with it

Are there enough independent certification companies?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Trending Threads

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
Top Bottom