Discuss RCD Tripping, Nothing in Sockets, no load... what now? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

If your electrician can't diagnose it, ask him t write down what he has done as they could well help another spark who you get to come round and investigate the fault.

Also no matter how trivial tell anyone who does come round exactly what happens and when.

Absolutely, I think my main concern is an open cheque book situation... which i feel this is heading... But hey, its needs to be safe!

Well any decent sparks will keep you informed along the way about cost and how much longer it may take. When I do fault finding if I find nothing in the first couple of hours I will let the customer know and see if they want me to proceed, after all I would like them to know what is happening and not me just walking round there house all day for a bit of cash.

did your electrician disconnect the circuits from the consumer unit and test the cables from there - I recently proved a fault to the garden lighting via a fused spur that fed a pir outside, problem was the customer had put baton lamp holders on a wall and covered them with clay plant pots for the winter - so have a look for fused spurs and work out what they do, pir lights etc may not manifest the fault until they trigger

martin

Hi Everybody,
The electrician (as above) has tested the CU with some little plugin things and said its fine and working as it should.
:)

little plugin things - alarm bells ringing!!!!!!

Difficult to diagnose as others have said but IR testing followed by continuity would be a good start.

How old is the house/wiring?

little plugin things - alarm bells ringing!!!!!!

not from british gas , was he?

My money would be on the RCD, especially if there does not appear to be any ryme or reason to the tripping. Once that was changed then you know you are'nt chasing smoke when you are fault finding..

Absolutely, I think my main concern is an open cheque book situation... which i feel this is heading... But hey, its needs to be safe!

shame your not in essex,, its fault finding that keeps me going, espesially if others cant sort it.. its like a chalange.. i would spare an hour of my time for free to fault find, just to keep the cogs well oiled..

Ps thats probelly why im always skint,, maybe i need to charge :)

Last edited by a moderator:
should have an auction. i'll start. i'll find that fault in 3 hours.

think he's south of the severn-- indian country.

Thank you, I hope we can get to the bottom of it.

One thing that still worries me, is the buzzing we get from the CU when the shower is on? At our old house this never happened... the only noise from the shower was generally me singing...

You can get buzzing from the CU when terminals are not tightened properly. Ask the electrician to check the tightness of all the terminals into MCBs and into the RCDs.

Where are you based?? I'd give you a few minutes!!

hang on your gota get out the van,,, and dont forget the hand break,, dont wana see you roll out the van why it continues off down the road, just to find the fault!! and your gona need to grab your tools and test gear from this van as it rolls off...

Hi Everybody,

We just moved into a detached house in last friday, only to find that the RCD keeps tripping for no reason :S I have had an electrician out who checked the RCD and said the box is fine.. and must be the sockets.

We unplugged every item in the house and tried to turn the socket switch back on (on the CU)... it trips the RCD, after 4 or 5 attempts it holds and we have power. (lights etc are not affected).

If we press the test button the RCD main switch does as it should.... and if we turn the socket switch OFF the main RCD will switch on immediately and hold. If we start to plug items back into the sockets sometimes it trips... sometimes it does not... there is no pattern.

I have pulled all the sockets away from the wall to make sure there are no trapped wires and for any interference with the back plates.. all ok, and still trips for no real reason.

The electrician (as above) has tested the CU with some little plugin things and said its fine and working as it should.
The worst time is the morning (between 8 - 10am), there are no washing machines on, no dryers, the combi boiler is off.. so essentially no load at all.

Other notes of interest is the previous owner who i have contacted (because of mail he needs to pick up) asked about the electrics... his words were

Surely that would affect the shower switch... and not the sockets switch (the shower is not on the sockets - tested that lol).

I am sorry to pick everybodies brains, but i will go through when it has tripped and see if somebody is blatantly obvious?

1) Plug in extension cable with nothing in... Sockets RCD flicked as well as main RCD
2) Plug in hoover into kitchen socket.... main RCD off
3) Walking across the landing towards the shower... main RCD switch off
4) Jumping on the landing floorboards...no change (in case of rogue nail in floor boards lol)
5) Turning TV sockets on (which has an xbox, DVD player, 50" plasma, Wii), sockets rcd off, main switch off
6) 2 minutes into a shower, sockets off, shower off, main rcd off

This morning when i was just about to have a shower and had to reset the main switch, when i managed to finally get all switched to stick there was a buzzing noise coming from the CU - but it only happened when the shower was turned on (electric shower).

I am at a real loss at what to try next, with everything seeming to be checking out i seem to working (web designer) out of fear that my PC will shut down at any time with no warnings etc...

I am no expert but after many nights browsing the web and trying to diagnose the issue, would it be possible to think that it might be an earth problem for the house?

Thank you all again :)
eh?...i hope he doesn`t mean a "plug in tester"...available at most DIY stores..lol.......what happened to an IR for a start.......

Hi Everybody,

Right the "plug in tester" was in a silver briefcase that tested to see if the RCB tripped out in the correct amount of time (i think) - it looked like a large multimeter... it seemed to send some sort of current to the RCD to force it to trip... all tests came back ok :)

The house was built in the 1970's i think. When the houses were first build it had the standard fuse boxes (with the wire) and at some stage has been changed to a new CU with RCD protection. (the only was i know this is my parents live on the same estate and they still have the old style fuse box - and the whole estate was built over only a few years).

Electrician has called today and he's coming to spend a day here on monday to try and locate the problem...

But another spanner to works is this.... its behaved all day today - woop! So no tripping etc.... The ONLY thing i have changed was to turn the shower heat setting to a lower level (3 power levels - it was on the top level)... but the shower has not been used.. so dont know if its relevant or not?

The Hoover has been on this morning... all ok... my pc's are on - all ok..

sounds like thew shower. some have 2 elements. maybe 1 of them is duff. it's certainly where i'd first be looking.

Reply to RCD Tripping, Nothing in Sockets, no load... what now? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net