Discuss Rcd Tripping On Dual Board in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi,

ive added some outdoor led lights to the downstairs lighting circuit. there are a few 24v lights which are powered by 3 x led drivers (15w, 15w, 20w)

there's a few PIRs controlling the lights as well.

Ive protected them with their own rcd 30ma spur and a 1amp bs1362. the lighting circuit is off a b6 on the side of the board that's not protected by the rcd.

i connected at the board with live, neutral and earth into the same terminals as the existing circuit. neutral is definitely on the side not protected by the rcd.

but then last night at around 1am, the rcd for the socket side of the board tripped. i haven't a clue why this would happen.

are the led drivers playing havoc? the lights are split between front and back of the house so they wouldn't all come on at the same time and i've spent the morning trying to replicate the fault but to no avail.

it's weird because the rcd spur for the new lights didn't trip but the sockets did. ild have thought if there was a problem with my new lights the rcd spur would trip or tiny fuse blow.

any ideas? many thanks if you can help it's a bit of a puzzler.

Not straight forward unfortunately. Split boards can be troublesome. The issue might be your drivers or it might be that your sensing device in your 30mA rcd, protecting the outside lights is activating the rcd protecting the sockets.
My question is, do you need 30mA rcd protection on your outside lights if they are fixed items and not supplying socket outlets outside. I would think you will be tortured with tripping for no/very little reason.

Unfortunately 411.3.4 starts with 'Within' and it could be argued garden lighting is NOT 'within' domestic (household) premises and consequently doesn't need a RCD to satisfy the regs!
Did the lights come on at 1am (presumably they would have on on the non RCD protected side of the CU) or did the other RCD just trip?
As it seems a totally independent circuit, my thoughts are same as Telectrix #2 Coincidental!

Unfortunately 411.3.4 starts with 'Within' and it could be argued garden lighting is NOT 'within' domestic (household) premises and consequently doesn't need a RCD to satisfy the regs!
Did the lights come on at 1am (presumably they would have on on the non RCD protected side of the CU) or did the other RCD just trip?
As it seems a totally independent circuit, my thoughts are same as Telectrix #2 Coincidental!
A good argument @DefyG.....not sure I’d want to argue that interpretation of it in a court though should the worst happen?

Surely then the special location for outside lighting would apply, which requires RCD protection ? ?

You must have a different book to me, my regs book 714.411.3.3 (Additional Protection) doesn't mention 'gardens' in the list.

You must have a different book to me, my regs book 714.411.3.3 (Additional Protection) doesn't mention 'gardens' in the list.
Well that's me educated for today. I thought RCD protection applied across section 714.

I would definitely argue that domestic premises would include gardens though.

Try arguing that in court.

It doesn't mention air raid shelters either.
As regards your 'within' point, where are garden lights fed from?

So the car charger doesnt need a RCD...your hot tub doesnt need a RCD...Your sub main in the summerhouse needs no rcd....your external sockets need no RCD.....HAVE A WORD!

So those of you who interpret the domestic lighting RCD requirement as not including gardens, would you be happy to wire garden lights without additional protection?
I wouldn't.

I think the regs are too vague (but we've been there before)!!

Why in 714.1 (ii) the items listed separately from everything else later appear in 714.411.3.3 under 'Additional Protection'? Why not everything/everywhere?

I'm not necessarily agreeing or disagreeing with it but that is what I see written in the regs!
As far as this thread goes, I believe the OP's lights are 24v and wouldn't warrant a RCD, however the PIR's probably would (assuming 230v PIR's).

Is anyone else confused about the op original post? Goes on about an RCD spur for outside lights but also talks about wiring into the consumer unit?

a drawing, photos or better description would help?

Reply to Rcd Tripping On Dual Board in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock