Discuss Rcd Tripping in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

H

hawkbore

Hi all, Does anyone know how an RCD can trip out.. when the board is dead. Main switch off, touch neutral to neutral bar and pop! Several times.. ??

Yes it is a split board. It tested fine. Tested 2 rings. All good readings,, very similar.
Here is the kicker though. I left it until i,d put all the other circuits in and it fixed itself.
But i hate mysteries... any other thoughts?

Have you checked that the main switch is disconnecting live and neutral, unlikely I know but if the main switch is off and functioning properly there is no way the RCD's can operate.

ezzzekiel, it will trip with the breaker off but the main switch on because of the neutral is still connected to the incoming supply however if you isolate the main switch it cannot operate, it becomes a dead parrot bereft of life.

Hi all, Does anyone know how an RCD can trip out.. when the board is dead. Main switch off, touch neutral to neutral bar and pop! Several times.. ??

when you say several times you mean main switch remained off the whole time and you were able to repeatedly trip the rcd.

Was it on the sockets? if so, sounds like a neutral is pinned behind the face cover screws of the sockets therefore leaking to earth.

Reply to Rcd Tripping in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock