Discuss RCD Tripping in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A

adam.h

Changed my cu yesterday and all seemed fine. Not added any new circuits as yet. But I turned on one of the kitchen lights (there are 3 sets of downlights) and it tripped both rcds. I couldnt reset the rcd at first but it did after a while, not good....... every thing worked but this one set of lights. Not got time to look at it tonight (it just happend) But why would it trip both RCDs?
I will look further into it tomo, but if anyone has any info that may help would be good.
Cheers!

im guessing you have a split rcd board and you have 1 lighing circuit and 1 on another and the 2 circuis have borrowed neutrals

did you take readings after changing the board

im guessing you have a split rcd board and you have 1 lighing circuit and 1 on another and the 2 circuis have borrowed neutrals

did you take readings after changing the board

ahhh, could a borrowed neutral do that? The kitchen was re done a while back (I didnt do any of it as I was not qualified back then) But I did find that the front room lights had been a live link in the switch for the back room (the rooms where knocked through into one many many years ago) and the back room light had a borrowed neutral from somewhere. But the back room is now part of the extension so new light circuit wired but not yet wired into the cu.
all downstairs lights are on one rcd and all up stairs are on the other. if there is a borrowed neutral and this one light circuit now has a fault would it cause both to trip?

mate who has been a spark did testin and said all was fine. But imgoing to re test everything again tomo.

As stated, borrowed neutral is favourite, or a line coming from one half of the board and the corresponding neutral wired to the neutral connector belonging to the other half.

Cheers peeps. Though I thought normally a shared neutral would have been from the stairs landing, and they work fine. I got a feeling there might be a fault as all the other kitchen lights work with no problen at all. But then again, the kitchen was extended many many years ago too and I dont know how it was wired when the new kitchen was installed.
All fun stuff

cant help notocing you say all upstairs and downstairs lights are on rcd,s.only the bathroom lighting needs to be protected by rcd

Reply to RCD Tripping in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock