Discuss RCDs trip under no load in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

Shinner

Hi (first post)
Has anyone had trouble with Wylex RCDs?
Just installed a consumer unit and both my RCDs trip on power on but with all MCBs off and unable to reset them.
Never used Wylex before so can I asume both RCDs are faulty?
Will pop out and get some replacements, but thought I'd ask if anyone else had come across this problem?

Hi (first post)
Has anyone had trouble with Wylex RCDs?
Just installed a consumer unit and both my RCDs trip on power on but with all MCBs off and unable to reset them.
Never used Wylex before so can I asume both RCDs are faulty?
Will pop out and get some replacements, but thought I'd ask if anyone else had come across this problem?

Welcome!

Seems a bit strange for two Rcd's to be tripping, have you checked the supply?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you took the CU completely apart when installing, I reckon you have put the neutral cables back round the wrong way, maybe.

Either that or a borrowed neutral in the installation somewheres.

i was thinking the same as you jason but with shinner saying all circuits are in the off position would the rcd's still trip?

Hey.

Agreed, definitely sounds like a neutral problem there somewhere, wether it's with the split load kit being incorrectly conneccted, or a neutral to earth fault possibly on both sides????

I wouldn't have thought that both RCD's were faulty.

i agree with the others something neutral earthfault some where either disconnect all neutrals &earth then power up see if it holds if it does add each circuit back one at a time this would give you a start point to investigate from
good luck

Hi guys thanks for the response
Had a look earlier taking back the circuits in the neutral lines and it appears I have a neutral to earth fault somewhere in the ring circuit. Gonna have lots of fun finding the problem I,m sure. Any good places to start apart from disconnecting all equipment round the ring?

Shinner,

Just check that the circuits you are supplying and being protected by each RCD, have their neutrals connected to the correct neutral bar for that side of the board.

Hi
Removed all the neutrals except the ring and RCD still tripped so in effect I was only using one neutral bar. Reckon it has to be an earth/neutral fault.
Will let everyone know the outcome eventually when the owner allows me to do some invest.

Not teaching you to suck eggs, but make sure you have the neutrals on the right bar for the RCD!

You could have line into RCD1 and neutrals into RCD2 neutral bar.

Easy mistake to make, and i still do it now:D

I always listen to advice.
I removed the second RCD and associated MCBs from the second neutral bar so that all was left in the whole system was the ring on one of the neutral bars. This circuit alone (even with the ring MCB off) would not allow me to set the RCD. I tried both lighting circuits instead of the ring to ensure the RCD was not at fault and they worked fine.

I always listen to advice.
I removed the second RCD and associated MCBs from the second neutral bar so that all was left in the whole system was the ring on one of the neutral bars. This circuit alone (even with the ring MCB off) would not allow me to set the RCD. I tried both lighting circuits instead of the ring to ensure the RCD was not at fault and they worked fine.

should be easy enough to check for a N/E short with a continuity tester.
check no appliances plugged in too.And check you have a complete ring on all legs,and that phase to phase and neutral to neutral readings are very similar on your ring.An incomplete ring on one leg could cause a trip.

Reply to RCDs trip under no load in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock