Currently reading:
Recod keeping

Discuss Recod keeping in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

the pict

-
Mentor
Reaction score
Is there a legal or regulatory requirement to keep copies of certificates issued if so for how long, I know that clients have a duty to retain but do we,
Pict

yes. i think it's 3 years, but it may be more.

Reason is I have some who "cant find certs" or cant be arsed looking for them wants copies for 8 properties I did about 6 years ago and wants copies and got the hump when I told him I would need a day to recompile so therefore a cost of about £180 and he said "you should have copies already made up on file" ******** I told him they are all on disc and need to be individually checked and printed, the clown said "give me the disc and I will print them myself" what a plonker just cant be arsed with the guy

Pict

Tell him you only keep them 5 years.

A re test would be required after that time anyway and any certs would be date expired.

Boydy

I have a copy of every cert I have ever done. Mind you, I also have every bill, wage slip and bank statement I have ever received as well, so maybe I have some kind of issue there!

As tel says I think it's three years, but it's well worth keeping them a lot longer as the test results will be useful if your called back for more work or if anything goes wrong, even a few years down the line, they are evidence that you left the job safe.

Boydys right I had a quick look as they were commercial wiht a few codes on them I put 3 years on them, just emailed the client he is not chuffed, I think he is punting the propery in question.
Pict

As boydy says if their rented or he's selling them they will need to be retested anyway after 5years
Also if you keep a copy until next inspection is due it makes it a lot easier if you get the job and you have a copy of the previous test results

I use PIRform for certs. I don't print off final paper copies unless I have to, but I do save a pdf and keep it archived. That way, even if I change software, there's a good chance of having a readable copy.

Customer usually gets sent the pdf unless they've asked for paper.

The only timing for keeping certificates I have seen is the minimum standards for self certification scheme registered enterprises, where the requirement is to keep all certificates, diagrams, schedules and specifications for at least three years.
Unfortunately this is doubly irrelevant since you are not a self certificated enterprise and the work is not in a dwelling!
However as a ready reference of minimum standards it may be appropriate.

Reply to Recod keeping in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock