Discuss Recommend me a Type B (3 Phase) Distribution Board in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Need to source Type B 3-phase distribution & 3P MCBs for EVSE, 1P RCBOs etc. so my sparky can install. A 6-way 3P board will suffice. Wondering what the general concensus is.

Say, Contactum at the cheaper end vs Schneider Acti9 at the upper end.

Drawn towards the Schneider as super neat system and am a bit of a sucker for well engineered product, but gotta keep reminding myself its just a board that will be hidden away !

Schneider, Eaton MEM, Hager..... all good gear. But check with your electrician before you buy anything and I'm surprised you're not getting them to supply anyway as almost certain at 3PH boards that they'll get a far better wholesaler price than you will find.

Schneider, Eaton MEM, Hager..... all good gear. But check with your electrician before you buy anything and I'm surprised you're not getting them to supply anyway as almost certain at 3PH boards that they'll get a far better wholesaler price than you will find.

I only work with trades on a labour-only basis. Yes of course will run BOM past the sparky, but he doesnt really care what brand I procure :).

Whats wrong with them? I've not had any issue with contactum for budget jobs, they certainly a bit more solid than the higher end stuff.
I guess everyone's experiences are different but mine are that the module cases always want to split apart the moment you look at the screw, the metalwork is always slightly wonky and there's just never enough room in them to do anything neatly without it being a real fight.

I guess everyone's experiences are different but mine are that the module cases always want to split apart the moment you look at the screw, the metalwork is always slightly wonky and there's just never enough room in them to do anything neatly without it being a real fight.
Well the modules are super cheap, freely available from the likes of toolstation etc. So can buy more than you need and send 'em back if they break.

In terms of space...its a 3 phase board....loads of space surely ?

Wonky metalwork...can deal with that....buy in advance, inspect, return if wonky etc. Or even buy 3....keep 1.

Well the modules are super cheap, freely available from the likes of toolstation etc. So can buy more than you need and send 'em back if they break.

Wonky metalwork...can deal with that....buy in advance, inspect, return if wonky etc. Or even buy 3....keep 1.
Surely, this is the very literal definition of 'buy cheap, buy twice'?!

I've used their consumer units since my apprenticeship without issue so am probably a little biased.

I've not yet had a 3 phase board from them which has had any wonky metalwork, plenty of wonky stickers though.

By contrast I have had a couple of schneider boards turn up bent and in need of some TLC with a hammer to get them straightened out. But then I fit a lot more of them so can expect to see more of the bad ones.

If any product is so bad that you have to buy multiples and pick the good ones out of the bunch then it is not fit for purpose and shouldn't be on the market!

I've used their consumer units since my apprenticeship without issue so am probably a little biased.

I've not yet had a 3 phase board from them which has had any wonky metalwork, plenty of wonky stickers though.

By contrast I have had a couple of schneider boards turn up bent and in need of some TLC with a hammer to get them straightened out. But then I fit a lot more of them so can expect to see more of the bad ones.
Thx. Reliability of their MCBs and RCBOs OK?

I only work with trades on a labour-only basis. Yes of course will run BOM past the sparky, but he doesnt really care what brand I procure :).
Your either the sort of person I spend my career avoiding or your changing your arm and commencing on a diy disaster. Judging from previous questions I'll go with the latter.

On another note, schneider is good gear.

Reply to Recommend me a Type B (3 Phase) Distribution Board in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net