Discuss Regulations for 12V / 240V wiring in campervans in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
So wiring in campervans is included within the scope of BS 7671. In a scenario where someone is being paid to build from scratch or modify a system, is there a minimum level of qualification required by law?

Would a "Part P NICEIC domestic installer" be appropriate to carry out and certify the work?

I'm guessing this type of work would never be "Notifiable" since it's not an actual residential building?

TIA to anyone that can shed some light on this!

Theoretically both the 12v and 230v require certification although I'd be amazed to ever see it. My concern with using someone who's only ever done small scale domestic stuff is that they're unlikely to be competent with some of the finer points of dealing with fine stranded, fuses and so on. I've done few caravans for friends and there's a definite methodology to it!

Theoretically both the 12v and 230v require certification although I'd be amazed to ever see it. My concern with using someone who's only ever done small scale domestic stuff is that they're unlikely to be competent with some of the finer points of dealing with fine stranded, fuses and so on. I've done few caravans for friends and there's a definite methodology to it!
Thanks for the reply, I'll try and expand a bit:

Basically I'm thinking of doing some self employed work specifically on campervan electrics. I have a background in electronics and I'm happy with everything 12V and the regs for that.

Where I have a knowledge gap is 240V. They're not hugely complicated systems in vans and I know a lot of people self teach and do it themselves. I'm trying to figure out the best position to be in from a liability perspective if someone is paying me to carry out the work. And ultimately I want to be certain it's 100% correct.

From what I understand these two courses would be useful:

"Level 3 Award in Requirements for Electrical Installations"
"Level 3 Award in the Initial Verification and Certification of Electrical Installations"

At this point I think I would be a "domestic installer" but not part of a scheme and hence not able to carry out any notifable work - but for the scope of campervan electrics this would be fine?

This is all a pretty big grey area so any help would be massively appreciated!

Thanks for the reply, I'll try and expand a bit:

Basically I'm thinking of doing some self employed work specifically on campervan electrics. I have a background in electronics and I'm happy with everything 12V and the regs for that.

Where I have a knowledge gap is 240V. They're not hugely complicated systems in vans and I know a lot of people self teach and do it themselves. I'm trying to figure out the best position to be in from a liability perspective if someone is paying me to carry out the work. And ultimately I want to be certain it's 100% correct.

From what I understand these two courses would be useful:

"Level 3 Award in Requirements for Electrical Installations"
"Level 3 Award in the Initial Verification and Certification of Electrical Installations"

At this point I think I would be a "domestic installer" but not part of a scheme and hence not able to carry out any notifable work - but for the scope of campervan electrics this would be fine?

This is all a pretty big grey area so any help would be massively appreciated!
To be honest with you, if you can claim competency to EAWR89 for this then there's not technically a need for you to get any of the above. Testing and inspection could be useful but you're not doing anything that requires a 'notification' as you're not dealing with a building. Generally speaking most mobile set-ups are basically all 12v anyway with a 230v charger and a couple of 230v sockets for when you've got a hook-up available so as long as the charger and the sockets are soundly installed on appropriate sized cable, protective devices and and up-front RCD then you're pretty much there.

To be honest with you, if you can claim competency to EAWR89 for this then there's not technically a need for you to get any of the above. Testing and inspection could be useful but you're not doing anything that requires a 'notification' as you're not dealing with a building. Generally speaking most mobile set-ups are basically all 12v anyway with a 230v charger and a couple of 230v sockets for when you've got a hook-up available so as long as the charger and the sockets are soundly installed on appropriate sized cable, protective devices and and up-front RCD then you're pretty much there.

I agree completely on the general setup you described there. Was not aware of EAWR89 so I will give that a good read. Thanks for your advice on this, I may end up doing a couple of courses anyway but good to know where I stand.

Since every time the camper is plugged in the ELI will change, many of the tests are pointless. You have a supply to fridge, some sockets, maybe central heating, maybe water heating, maybe lights, and the charger.

What causes a problem is the 12 volt side, but no need for occupancy relays like caravans so even that is relativity easy.

Biggest consideration is charging, the old 17th Edition gives a maximum voltage, however to keep within that limit rules out stage chargers, so one has to take what BS 7671 says with a pinch of salt. But big question is how is it going to be used?

DC to DC inverters, solar panels, pulse charging, stage charging non is needed, but may be good if used without electric hook up.

HSG85 & HSR25 are the documents you want to understand in terms of EAWR

https://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/books/hsr25.htm

https://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/books/hsg85.htm
Thanks for the docs, will add to the reading list.
Since every time the camper is plugged in the ELI will change, many of the tests are pointless. You have a supply to fridge, some sockets, maybe central heating, maybe water heating, maybe lights, and the charger.

What causes a problem is the 12 volt side, but no need for occupancy relays like caravans so even that is relativity easy.

Biggest consideration is charging, the old 17th Edition gives a maximum voltage, however to keep within that limit rules out stage chargers, so one has to take what BS 7671 says with a pinch of salt. But big question is how is it going to be used?

DC to DC inverters, solar panels, pulse charging, stage charging non is needed, but may be good if used without electric hook up.
From what I was aware "smart" battery chargers still only operate around 14/15V max? Not overly familiar with them yet though. And yes I've also heard a lot of the standard domestic tests won't apply to this situation!

Reply to Regulations for 12V / 240V wiring in campervans in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock