Discuss Removing MEM breakers in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

daveb

-
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Well today I attended another house to perform a bathroom upgrade. Upon visiting the mains board I noticed it was a MEM. Not ideal I thought as my previous experience taught me that RCBOs were not possible with these mcbs. I then noticed that a previous spark had fitted a hager RCBO into the board though so I would try the same. The only trouble was I could not remove the MEM breakers at all??? Slackened the screw to the bus bar and lifted the little locking clip at the top but the little suckers wouldn't come out at all. They were certainly loose but I just couldn't lift them out. This was two breakers I tried so it wasn't just a faulty fitting. In the end I gave up and fitted local RCD protection instead.

So, just curious if anyone has experienced the same and if they knew of a solution??

Many thanks

daveb

On some boards you have to remove the whole busbar to get an MCB in or out. I'm not sure with MEM consumer units but worth a try.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I trust you are aware of the numerous difficulties with such an approach?

Im not sure I understand what you mean? Some RCBOs are interchangeable with certain boards - I thoughts this was one of the instances. It certainly seemed to fit pretty well anyway.

Yep - also tried pulling them forward but still didn't work I'm afraid

Just checking, but you did release the locking lever which is either spring loaded or push fit at the bottom of the MCB, also if you are brand switching then it helps to know the manufacturer of said brands and the profile of them, if the hole for the busbar stab is exactly matched in position as the original mcb then it should be ok to use them, its when they are not as even 1mm difference can put internal stress on the mechanics of either the replacement and/or pass those stresses onto other mcb's, such stresses can make the devices non reliable and even create loose internal connections leading to burnouts.

Im not sure I understand what you mean? Some RCBOs are interchangeable with certain boards - I thoughts this was one of the instances. It certainly seemed to fit pretty well anyway.

Yep - also tried pulling them forward but still didn't work I'm afraid
You should not be mixing manufacturers of MCB's and distribution boards.

Unless of course it's the likes of Merlin, Schnieder, square d etc as they are the same manufacturer.

If it is memshield 2 board then you can get RCBOs for that DB.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Reply to Removing MEM breakers in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net