Discuss Removing Transformer From Halogen Light Fitting For LEDS? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,

Great forum with lots of advice read and greatly received over the years!

I have a question here that I am hopeful somebody here can assist.

We have 6 x decorative light fittings that all currently take 5 x G9 Halogen bulbs per fitting. And we also have another 5 decorative light fittings that each take 6 x G4 halogen bulbs per fitting.

We really like the fittings and don't really want to change them if possible. We ideally want to swap all of the halogen bulbs for LEDs, but when we have added the LEDs they flicker a lot and there is a loud humming noise which I presume is the internal transformer.

The question is, can the current transformer, intended for halogen bulbs, simply be removed? And the fitting then wired directly to the lighting circuit cabling and LEDs with internal drivers installed? Or if the LEDs don't have an internal driver, can the transformer be replaced like-for-like with a separate LED driver?

I've added the images of the current transformer and the wiring from one of the fittings here as an example where I have already removed the transformer.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice on this - greatly appreciated.

Lee

Attachments

• 1.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 22
  • 2.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 13
  • 3.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 14
  • 4.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 11
Use halogen lamps or swap the fitting. You certainly can't wire it direct to the mains, the construction of the fitting is not designed for that to be carried out safely. You may be able to swap the transformer for an LED compatible one there are a few suppliers of round led power supplies designed to go into the base of fittings such as these. I would generally recommend replacing the light with a properly constructed one though.

The components inside can make noise when being run outside their specified operating conditions, especially wound components.

The OP has only made 2 posts, the last one being 4 months ago, basically asking the same question.

Use halogen lamps or swap the fitting. You certainly can't wire it direct to the mains, the construction of the fitting is not designed for that to be carried out safely. You may be able to swap the transformer for an LED compatible one there are a few suppliers of round led power supplies designed to go into the base of fittings such as these. I would generally recommend replacing the light with a properly constructed one though.
Thanks Freddo.

When you say an LED compatible transformer, is this the same as an LED driver?

This certainly may be an option for the fittings with the small G4 2 pin bulbs.

However, am I right in saying that the G9 bulbs have built in drivers? If so, would these still need a separate driver in the fitting would you suggest?

Thanks again for your help.

G9 are 230v mains rated lamps so there shouldn't be a transformer to cause a buzz!

Maybe on the G4 fittings though?
On the G9 bulb fittings, where I have replaced the halogen with the LED G9s I am definitely getting a buzzing noise from a couple of the fittings.

I will take the fitting down to confirm the existence of a transformer or not.

If not then I'll report back for any further advice or suggestions that you may be able to share.

Thank you again for your help with this and your reply; greatly appreciated.

Picture 3 says it's an electronic transformer so there will not be any buzz
Thanks for your reply.

You're absolutely right; with this fitting there was no buzz when I replaced the halogen G4 bulbs with LED G4 bulbs.

With this fittings the new LED bulbs flickered a lot.

Are you able to provide any thoughts or suggestions?

As Freddo has suggested, would an LED transformer (driver?) in place of this electronic transformer do the trick and safely so?

Thanks for your help once again.

The transformer is labeled the secondary voltage is 12v.
Apologies; I may have confused things a bit by combining the question regarding different fittings for both G4 and G9 bulbs.

The transformer picture shared is from a fitting for G4 bulbs and here we are seeing considerable flickering of the lights.

If I replace this electronic transformer for a suitable LED transformer (driver?) would this enable me to use G4 LEDs safely in this fitting please?

Thanks again for your reply and apologies for not being clear in my first message.

The OP says there is a loud humming (my word buzz) noise !!!

I know, but don't think Ive ever seen G9 other than 230V, have you?
Hi DefyG,

Thanks for your reply.

As above, you're absolutely right and I think I confused things a little by not clarifying that the transformer in the photo shared is indeed from the fitting with the G4 bulbs.

I'll pull a light fitting down and check if the fittings with the G9 bulbs do have a transformer or not.

Thanks again for your reply.

The OP has only made 2 posts, the last one being 4 months ago, basically asking the same question.
Hi mainline,

Thanks for your reply.

You are spot on - I did enquire a while ago about this.

I intended on following up with photos of the fittings and transformer etc back then but other commitments took over!

Rather than following on an old thread I felt starting this fresh thread would be better.

With the helpful responses received so far from some very knowledgeable people, moreso than I, I would say this was the right decision!

Appreciate your observation though. Do you have any other helpful observations on the question and the matter at hand that I am trying to solve?

No worries if not - but any advice welcomed.

Thanks and regards

A 12V led power supply with a wattage rating ≥ the total load of the LED lamps is needed.

I would generally consider an LED 'driver' to be of the constant current type power supply for running series strings of LEDs, not suitable for you application.

G9 lamps aren't great by design and LED replacements can be hit and miss.

Your issue with these could be due to poor qualtiy lamps or poor connection in bases which have been subjected to considerable heat over the years, from halogen lamps.

Apologies; I may have confused things a bit by combining the question regarding different fittings for both G4 and G9 bulbs.

The transformer picture shared is from a fitting for G4 bulbs and here we are seeing considerable flickering of the lights.

If I replace this electronic transformer for a suitable LED transformer (driver?) would this enable me to use G4 LEDs safely in this fitting please?

Thanks again for your reply and apologies for not being clear in my first message.

Your G9 issue is likely bad quality bulbs. But it could also be incompatible dimmers. I can't address in a text post all the reasons trying to retrofit a low-voltage fixture with multiple sockets with low-voltage led retrofits, other than to say that no reputable company selling plug-and-play leds designed to replace halogen lamps would or should require additional drivers installed.

Reply to Removing Transformer From Halogen Light Fitting For LEDS? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net