Discuss Replace Large Oven or Dryer Breaker in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

co-chuck

DIY
Reaction score
Hello and Thank You!!!

Reason:
I am installing a Generator Hookup panel.

I am installing a 30Amp breaker to hook up the generator. I want it at the top. I need to make some room.

QUESTION: Can I replace these larger Oven and Dryer breakers with smaller same amperage new breakers? Why do these breakers take up 4 slots where my hot tub and A/C unit only take 2 slots?

I want to put the 30 Amp Generator breaker at the top so I can install a Power Lockout Kit.

Thank You.
C

Attachments

• Power Panel Edit1.jpg
    474.2 KB · Views: 6
Short answer is no, you can’t replace the large breakers with smaller ones.

the large ones are for 230v devices and the small ones for 110v

you could put a changeover switch inline with the supply to the distribution board instead.

Short answer is no, you can’t replace the large breakers with smaller ones.

the large ones are for 230v devices and the small ones for 110v

you could put a changeover switch inline with the supply to the distribution board instead.
Thank You Thank You. Much Appreciated . Perhaps I was not too clear. And the photo is not the best. If you look at the photo - You can see the smaller 110/120v breakers. Then where you see A/C and Hot Tub - Those devices are 220/240v Breakers.

The only difference is the large Oven/Dryer breakers take 4 slots (2 slots on each side of the panel phase divider.)
Where the smaller 50amp Hot Tub takes 2 slots (1 slot on each side of the phase divider). Ill try and take more pictures.

Down the middle / Along each side of this older GE panel the phase lines alternate (left right). Just because a breaker is on the left or right is not indicative of which phase its attached too. So the Hot Tub breaker is double that sits on the phase separator so that each side sits on two different 110/120v lines. The Oven and Dryer do the same except they just tape up extra spots ...

I know this is not true dual phase... Its just the verbiage everyone seems to use. Thanks

It looks like i was misunderstanding the size of the phase Seperators, I think you need someone to take the cover off and check that what you want to do will phisically fit and the top sections of the bus bars will accept smaller breakers.

or @Megawatt is one of our more knowledgeable members from your side of the Atlantic and will hopefully respond a bit later.

Hello and Thank You!!!

Reason:
I am installing a Generator Hookup panel.

I am installing a 30Amp breaker to hook up the generator. I want it at the top. I need to make some room.

QUESTION: Can I replace these larger Oven and Dryer breakers with smaller same amperage new breakers? Why do these breakers take up 4 slots where my hot tub and A/C unit only take 2 slots?

I want to put the 30 Amp Generator breaker at the top so I can install a Power Lockout Kit.

Thank You.
C
Yes you can go to Lowes or Home Depot and purchase slime line double pole breakers. I’m not sure if they sell lock out kits. If not you can go to your local electrical parts store and if not in stock then they will order it for you

Thank You @Megawatt and @James ! That's what I am thinkin of doing - to make just a little more room at the top for my Generator Breaker. I just want to make sure I'm not missing the reason these breakers are so huge in comparison.? Ill check their temp rating, and see if that compares with the slim line breakers that I use for my Hot Tub and AC unit.

Just some pictures to show the difference between these two large breakers and the regular breakers and the way they fit into the bpx

Attachments

• 20221026_123929.jpg
    739.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 20221026_123956.jpg
    672.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 20221026_124014.jpg
    760.1 KB · Views: 7

Reply to Replace Large Oven or Dryer Breaker in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net