Discuss Replacing Fuse Board in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Also have my safety specs on but that's habit after having a piece of plastic dug out of my eye when I was an apprentice! Don't use the full face visor unless it's a metal clad then I've also got a pair of leather over gauntlets and fireproof overalls as well as you don't want to be in front of one of those when it goes wrong!!

Also have my safety specs on but that's habit after having a piece of plastic dug out of my eye when I was an apprentice! Don't use the full face visor unless it's a metal clad then I've also got a pair of leather over gauntlets and fireproof overalls as well as you don't want to be in front of one of those when it goes wrong!!
to be honest the only ones ill personally remove are from newbuilds in good condition with the main board isolated so no load on it

Need to be wearng this PPE
DNO_fuse_removal.jpg

Not sure if the fleece jacket is correct though..!

Also I spy an isolator already fitted, and he's going to pull the fuse with the isolator ( and the load-presumably) still switched on:shocked3:

Switch the Isolator to OFF lock off fit warning sign, no need to pull the fuse in this situation is there?

DNO SSE allow electricians (who are registered with a scheme) to remove their cut-out fuse and supply temporary numbered seals to reseal with afterwards, when the work is completed. The seals have details of the installer, who has to contact SSE with property details and seal number(s).

Without meaning to imply or encourage anything, I would be interested to know what is the act of parliament that makes it illegal to pull a cutout? The Electricity at Work Act 1989 quite rightly makes it illegal under most circumstances to work live.

I think it is downright dangerous that electricians are told not to touch the DNO's equipment. What if the electrician suspects the tails have become loose at the meter during the installation of a new CU? Most will not open the meter to check/tighten them, and some will be too scared to contact the DNO in case of being fined for having pulled the cutout! So then what happens if the meter goes up in smoke as a result?! If one can't name a statute making it illegal to carry out the essential safety check them I doubt 'the DNO says I'm not allowed' would be much of a defense!

It's about time we all got together and told the suppliers, DNOs etc that their filthy profits don't come before safety!

Last edited:
Without meaning to imply or encourage anything, I would be interested to know what is the act of parliament that makes it illegal to pull a cutout? The Electricity at Work Act 1989 quite rightly makes it illegal under most circumstances to work live.

I think it is downright dangerous that electricians are told not to touch the DNO's equipment. What if the electrician suspects the tails have become loose at the meter during the installation of a new CU? Most will not open the meter to check/tighten them, and some will be too scared to contact the DNO in case of being fined for having pulled the cutout! So then what happens if the meter goes up in smoke as a result?! If one can't name a statute making it illegal to carry out the essential safety check them I doubt 'the DNO says I'm not allowed' would be much of a defense!

It's about time we all got together and told the suppliers, DNOs etc that their filthy profits don't come before safety!

^^^^ I like this chap ^^^^

No electrician has ever been prosecuted in a court of law for cutting/removing a seal to a bullet aka tempering with their equipment. Only bypassing the meter etc.

If your competent and have the correct equipment to pull the bullet, just pull the bloody thing and work safe. The DNO's really need to address this issue for the everyday Sparks like us. Something needs to be put in place nationally, ok with training and a licence at a minimal cost to us. It is an issue that needs to be resolved.

Last edited:
If there is a greater hazard to property or life leaving the fuse in then you should wear appropriate PPE and remove the fuse then call the DNO emergency line explaining why you removed the fuse.

You have to be very careful here though as some older cutouts are so dangerous that even the DNO will not touch them until they have been de-energised upstream... I have only needed to pull the fuse once in such circumstances which was water leaking through a main isolator 3 phase and it was arcing on the tail side - they had no issue with my actions.
If your reasons are lame in there eyes then you could end up with a hefty callout fee from them although I not known any that have taken anyone to court I do know a few sparks who have been charged for DNO attendance.

99% of the time you are not allowed to cut the seals or remove the fuse as this isn't the consumers property and is the property of the DNO and to do so is a criminal act.

I know the frustrations we all have with this set up but thems the rules and to cut any seal is vandalism unless you have special permission by the DNO to carry out such an act.

What actually happens in reality is another story but just expressing how it is from a legal stance.

Last edited:
First of all I absolutely agree with everything that has been said here regarding safety.

No electrician has ever been prosecuted in a court of law for cutting/removing a seal to a bullet aka tempering with their equipment.

Makes me wonder why not though...

99% of the time you are not allowed to cut the seals or remove the fuse as this isn't the consumers property and is the property of the DNO and to do so is a criminal act.

I know the frustrations we all have with this set up but thems the rules and to cut any seal is vandalism unless you have special permission by the DNO to carry out such an act.

But is it though? I'm not trying to get at anyone at all but I just think people are a bit too inclined to believe anyone appearing to be an authority figure without question: let's recap; we have:

- no specific act of parliament relating to this (I couldn't find one when a trawled the internet a while ago, and nobody has yet come up with one on this thread

- no legal precedent (not one single prosecution according to Paul.M and others I have read)

- thousands of people pulling cutouts up and down the country for decades and either never being reported (e.g. by the DNOs), or the reports not being acted on by the police/crown prosecution/procurator fiscal, which doesn't say much for those bodies confidence that such a case would be successful

- stickers on equipment up and down the country stating that it's an offense to 'tamper'.

I think I might start putting stickers on the CUs I fit stating that it is an offense for anyone else to carry out maintenance/alterations or to use the CU to isolate circuits for maintenance etc. Would that an offense make it, I wonder?

Afterthought: If person A fixes his/her property to person B's property, and person B then has to temporarily remove person A's property in order to carry out essential maintenance to his/her own property, I wonder if that is vandalism...

Last edited:
First of all I absolutely agree with everything that has been said here regarding safety.

Makes me wonder why not though...

But is it though? I'm not trying to get at anyone at all but I just think people are a bit too inclined to believe anyone appearing to be an authority figure without question: let's recap; we have:

- no specific act of parliament relating to this (I couldn't find one when a trawled the internet a while ago, and nobody has yet come up with one on this thread

- no legal precedent (not one single prosecution according to Paul.M and others I have read)

- thousands of people pulling cutouts up and down the country for decades and either never being reported (e.g. by the DNOs), or the reports not being acted on by the police/crown prosecution/procurator fiscal, which doesn't say much for those bodies confidence that such a case would be successful

- stickers on equipment up and down the country stating that it's an offense to 'tamper'.

I think I might start putting stickers on the CUs I fit stating that it is an offense for anyone else to carry out maintenance/alterations or to use the CU to isolate circuits for maintenance etc. Would that an offense make it, I wonder?
put a void if removed sticker on the lid that voids your warrenty if broken XD

put a void if removed sticker on the lid that voids your warrenty if broken XD

That's a good idea! Although I think the law has been clarified that a warrantee cannot be voided in this way - only if the third party work actually caused the failure that led to the warrantee claim, can the claim be refused on these grounds. That's my understanding anyway.

no one keeps any records of seals and stickers. when DNO/meter man comes for some reason he will look for usual signs of dodgy meter bypass, if none found he will put new seals in place. most of the jobs i have been to, the seal fairy was there before and there was nothing to cut anyway.

no one keeps any records of seals and stickers. when DNO/meter man comes for some reason he will look for usual signs of dodgy meter bypass, if none found he will put new seals in place. most of the jobs i have been to, the seal fairy was there before and there was nothing to cut anyway.

Yup same here: often decades worth of dust on them and no seal in sight.

Reply to Replacing Fuse Board in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net