Discuss Replacing (RCD) fuse box in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I was just using the cheapest price of a board that comes with a selection of MCB's, RCD's and Main switch etc just to show how little is in the job:thumbsup

It's just not worth all of the aggro for such a job. This price doesn't even reflect costs of collecting materials before hand or visits required if there were to be a return visit required.

I stand corrected mate. I didn't realise they were doing units so cheaply nowadays. I only fit Crabtree, so I'm used to paying considerably more :)

Prime donnes!

Some of you need some reality pills. Because you can charge someone £400 for an easy sub 5 hours work doesn't mean that you deserve it. You are not highly trained, highly qualified, doing a job that only the most intelligent can do. You all know and I know how much time and effort it takes to qualify as an electrician . . you need nothing more than average intelligence and three years part time study. Ninety percent of the population could do what you do after a few months training. Nurses need to study longer and harder, teachers need higher qualifications; you can charge what you like but if you are charging more than £30 and hour for your 'expertise' you are simply ripping off your customers. That's OK, you are not alone, I (the customer) have been ripped off many times I know it and you know it.

http://www.electriciansforums.net/electrical-courses-electrical-nvqs/11788-qualifying-domestic-installer.html

Each and everyone of my posts does not appear until it has been checked by a moderator hence it's about one a day!

I'm a fairly easy going bloke hence my super mod position as I dont take sides, treat everyone fairly and view each and every post with completely neutral point of view.

You sir have just boiled my **** beyond measurement with your totally uneducated comments!!!!!

I cannot comment further as I will end up being banned myself, you have not a clue about my industry, the initial and ongoing training I have to do to stay abreast of current regs, the endless stream of outgoing monies on the aforementioned courses, office costs, vehicle costs, constantly fluctuating material costs......the list is endless.

I hope you choose to go with your £200 CU upgrade and when the time comes to put that CU upgrade right after the cowboy that did it for £200 has disappeared of the face of the earth I hope there isn't a spark with 300 miles that will come to your aid.

Good day!:30:

Prime donnes!

Some of you need some reality pills. Because you can charge someone £400 for an easy sub 5 hours work doesn't mean that you deserve it. You are not highly trained, highly qualified, doing a job that only the most intelligent can do. You all know and I know how much time and effort it takes to qualify as an electrician . . you need nothing more than average intelligence and three years part time study. Ninety percent of the population could do what you do after a few months training. Nurses need to study longer and harder, teachers need higher qualifications; you can charge what you like but if you are charging more than £30 and hour for your 'expertise' you are simply ripping off your customers. That's OK, you are not alone, I (the customer) have been ripped off many times I know it and you know it.

http://www.electriciansforums.net/electrical-courses-electrical-nvqs/11788-qualifying-domestic-installer.html

Each and everyone of my posts does not appear until it has been checked by a moderator hence it's about one a day!

Don't call me a kebab you piece of sausage.

Well said Lenny, you beat me and probably a lot of others to it. I don't think there's anything to add to that mate. Except to point out to the OP that it's spelt Prima Donna.

Last edited by a moderator:
apparently, the time taken to qualify as an airline pilot is considerably less than that for an electrician. when you consider rest stops and permitted flying times of an airline pilot, they are on around £100/hour.

I cannot comment further as I will end up being banned myself,

I can't make up my mind at the moment between the ban being well worth the opportunity for me to post a response in very simple terms, or the fact that when an individual is that far up their own waste pipe any reply would be an exercise in futility.

Maybe I'll just give it some more thought while I go and see if the little man from the village has finished polishing the Bentley.

i don't really think the price affects the quality of installs, its all about what someone is willing to pay, i don't live in a major city, i live in a rural area where wages are low. if i quoted a standard fuseboard change at £350 i wouldn't get any work, i'd rather earn £50 in a day then stay home playing call of duty on the xbox. i know what about 10 other self employed electricans in my local area charge, the lowest being £12.50 and the highest being £18 with the majority including myself at the £15 an hour mark. all members of a scheme and fully insured, my profit was £17,000 last year. when i worked for a firm i was on £19000 a year. all this talk of £25-£30 an hour has me drooling and wondering where i can find customers willing to pay that much!

Cheapskate.

That's a bit harsh Trev, we weren't all blessed with your foresight. Just because you managed to get out of the bond market and into Gold in time you shouldn't gloat. I'm confident that with a few more CU changes thing will be a little easier. What with the new term's school fees coming up and a new Polo pony required I think I may have to try and draw in a few re-wires.

An ere's me tommorra , pikin th'austin A40 van up from garage after th'MOT. Crakin job o weldin th'ole in flooor. Bombin along soon.

Of course the costs of ones scheme membership. transport, retooling, insurances etc etc merely pale into insignificance when compared to that of the polo ponies and young Tarquins school fees. Esmerelda's finishing school is almost twice as much as it was last year, it should prove to be good value though when she is presented at the Windsor's summer soirees.

Prime donnes!

You have simply proved that you have absolutey no idea what you are talking about. Not only the practicalities of changing a consumer unit, but also running a business and the costs involved.

Then again, if it's so easy, why not just do it yourself?

oh, btw, I have a BSc (Hons) in Mechanical Engineering.

He has wound me up with his posts about sparks,and I,m talking proper sparks not D I,s or electrical trainee,years ago Len Murray and the other union leaders said they could cripple the country in a week if all the sparks walked out,thats how unimportant we are.When I wrapped up a couple of lads on here bought some of my kit as it was going cheap,saved them a nice few quid and they new it.Pity the op didnt realise how much tools cost let alone the books you have to buy and he reckons we,re overpaid,how many others get more than us and no threat of a day in court if it goes wrong?I suppose he thinks it,s ok for these footballers to be paid megabucks for a 90 minute kickabout. Well mate next time your juice goes off at stupid o,clock on a wet winters evening with 18" of snow on the ground try phoning Tevez or Beckham and see how quick they get the juice back on,thats if they turn out at all.

You've got a Bentley too? Getting a bit common between us electricians now lol . Note to self ...... Change price of Changing a c/u to £200. It's not like it's difficult to do or carries the responsibility of preventing electric shock and fires.

Cheers pal you have opened my eyes when I thought I was being careful keeping people's homes and families safe intact I've been ripping them off all this time. We should all feel ashamed of ourselves! Lol

Thank Christ I don't have to have this superstar watching like a parrot on my shoulder for a 3 hour(?) board change.if its that easy do it yourself.just like the one I had to fix done by some eastern European "spark"a couple of months ago.the most dangerous single piece of work I've come across in the last 10 years at least.i can plumb but I'm not a plumber,I can weld but i wouldn't say I'm a welder.im an electrician and I do electrical work.... Catching the drift 999.with a tag like that I bet your a policeman .i could certainly do your job son no intelligence required for that one.

The thing is I will not do a fuseboard and all it entails for £200 more like £400+ earthing if this guy is ok then bite his hand off for £200 although I am just not getting this because you say you know him something is not adding up for me.

Also I have had customers try to screw me right down on cost but the funny thing is most of them will spend £20-£25k on a car £3-£4k on a good holiday but for some reason just will not spend £400-£500 on a decent fuseboard with all that it entails so my friend you need to ask yourself is you and your families safety more important than your car or holdiay

Guys me thinks that you are missing the point here our Micheal is a damaged ego as no one likes to be reminded how selfish they are, so I have no doubt he has a £25k car and has just returned or is going on a £4k holiday as I said I can smell these guys at 100 yards they fool themselves that they get a good deal on jobs in the house and even give themselves a pat on the back they dont think I will buy a slightly lower spec car and get my house rewired to a good standard no no not for guys like Micheal who will jump into his car and scream at the nearest old lady to vent his anger. Well Micheal you have now had a wake up call and no doubt he has unsubscribed from this post.

Although one last point here yet again a Joe public has come on the forum to get some inside information so me thinks there is a real need for a Joe public section

Reply to Replacing (RCD) fuse box in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock