Discuss Replacing (RCD) fuse box in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Although one last point here yet again a Joe public has come on the forum to get some inside information so me thinks there is a real need for a Joe public section

preferably in a sealed room with bars on the windows.

Ninety percent of the population could do what you do after a few months training.

you can charge what you like but if you are charging more than £30 and hour for your 'expertise' you are simply ripping off your customers. That's OK, you are not alone, I (the customer) have been ripped off many times I know it and you know it.

To your first point - no way could they "do" this with few months training. Yes they may have the ideas about doing a basic "new" install, but to deal with the plethora of all the old installs, DIY bodges, the sheer variety of different equipment installed, small minded customers...the list goes on...

To your second point you are clearly not a business man - if somebody charges you £25.00 per hour that's not what they are getting paid:

Training & retraining
Insurances
Van & all the associated running costs
Advertising
Tools
Calibration
UNPAID holidays
UNPAID sick days
UNPAID Bank Holidays
UNPAID days looking after children and/or elderly parents.

Then once you've covered all your costs you have to pay National Insurance on all your profits and then Tax

You are a small minded twxt and need to be ejected from this forum. You have no business sense, no business experience and clearly don't value any trade - "I've been ripped off many times" - how can this be? Do you get competitive quotes from 3 people for the same work? Do you check that they have insurance? Do you check they pay tax and NI? If they a larger business do you allow for VAT?

I suspect all the answers are all NO.

Goodbye.

I think maybe he was just someone who fancied a bit of trolling, as nobody with even a teeny tiny brain would actually believe what this guy has written. :)

Last edited:
£350 is around the average price for a board change.It's not just changeing the fuseboard it also involves a full test of the circuit's plus notification.

£200 sounds like your trusted electrician is doing you a favour with 'mates rates' as you always use him.

It's not so much a North/South divide thing though prices do obviously vary.

Haven't read whole thread, but I think the above says it all. Post No 2!

The OP is probably one of the 'it's just a few wires joined together' brigade, with absolutely no concept whatsoever about electricity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your reply does deserve a response but it comes in the form of this :dita:

Get it done by your mate up North, pay his expenses and don't get a cert or anything THAT IS REQUIRED BY LAW!!!! (and it would cost you more!)

Some threads aren't worth the intelligence or effort that they get given and in "MY OPINION" this is most certainly one of them now truck off know it all!!!!!!!!

Sorry members but this poster has got my back up now! If it's that easy then perhaps he should get a leaflet from one of the sheds on "How to replace a consumer unit"

Trucking muppet!!!!!

Rick head!

Im glad I don't live up there..... £350 all day long. Taking the old board off and putting a new one on is perfectly doable in 3 hours (or even an hour and a half) if the circumstances are good, but with testing, certing, rectifying, notifying and what not, anything much less than £350 is silly.

With regards to labour costs north and south....in my experience the sparkys working with 50 miles of london arn't particularly desperate for work, even now so can afford to charge the going rates. From what I hear, its not like that in much of the north these days.
well you know what they say...its grim up north n all that lot....

The bloke is a gopping Tip Taster I refuse to feed Trolls...They are like Rats..feed them once and they come back..Poison them by refusing to be baited..
J

I've said what I needed to say and now the poster can do as he wishes, with a bit of luck it will be illegal and go wrong.

My last response for such a hideous thread and a ****** of an OP!

As a customer (and you all will be customers for other trades at some point or another) all we want is a good job for a fair price. Of course we would all like to think that we are worth £bigbucks an hour because we are so well qualified doing highly skilled work that can only be done by the super intelligent. This job can be done in 3 hours. You can then dance around testing whatever for another hour and fill in some paper worl for another hour. At best you've got 5 hours work that means that you believe that your skills and qualifications make you worth £50+ per hour that puts you on an annual salary of in excess of £100,000. You of course are happy with that but would you be happy to pay the plumber, carpenter, builder etc., that kind of salary and what about the teachers, nurses etc, surely they should be on an equivalent salary. That's how Greece ended up where it is!

This fella has got to be on the wind up , as surely no one can be such tool as he is being without any apparent comprehension of it !?:skep:

Reply to Replacing (RCD) fuse box in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock