Discuss Residential Fixed Wiring Inspection Frequency Question in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Benbon

DIY
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm looking for advice re frequency of Fixed Wiring Inspections in Residential Apartments.

We have recently had a Fire Risk assessment in which the issue was raised. The block (14 Apts, all owned not rented), is about 5yrs old and the Domestic Installation Certificate for each apartment recommends re inspection after 10yrs, stickers inside the consumer units say the same.

The Fire Risk Assessor is saying as there are common areas he “believes” it would be 5yrs.

Can anyone clarify the situation please? 10yrs or 5 yrs ? Are common areas likely to be treated differently to the individual apartments?

Thanks

The frequency/duration of time from construction to first inspection is determined by the designer (134.2.2). Beyond the first inspection the frequency of inspection may vary (652.1).

I can't remember if there's a table in GN3/OSG that gives figures based on type of premises; 5 year residential, 10 year commercial/industrial but can't recall it off hand.

Where the premises are rented then the PRS Regulations would come into affect and state 5 years or change of tenancy, whichever is sooner.

I would say the private apartments are ok on 10 years but the common areas should be 5 years. That is based on the table in the ProCerts app but I think that in turn is based on either GN3 or OSG.
Of course, these are the max values which can be reduced if they are in terrible condition.

Reply to Residential Fixed Wiring Inspection Frequency Question in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net